Bush Hog ZTR's???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffh1988, Sep 9, 2004.

1. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

We have a new dealer in our area and they look pretty tough, and i am thinking about buying a ztr in the spring. I have narrowed it down to exmark, bush hog, and JD. I know this will cause argument but what i am really interested in is any information on the new bush hog ztr mowers.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know that you will find out much info on the Bush Hog ZTR's here.
    I asked about them long ago and got very little info.
    I just wrote it off as probably as lousy as their tractor implements and moved on.

On a side not though, the guys in MS really seem to like the eXmarks...

3. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Yea alot of people here go with exmarks. They are great machines and i have a dealer within' two miles...but I don't like him so much. I do have dealer within' two miles for the bush hog and i have been using him for a while now and we get along. I have noticed that since this guy picked up the bush hog line that a lot of people around here looking for another mower have put a bush hog behind their exmark on their trailer. Anybody with any specs on the Commercial Bush hog Ztr's please post.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You can get the specs here...
    http://www.bushhog.com/demo-ztr-comm.html

You can also watch a little video of them. The don't really look shabby in it.

I'll say nothing bad about the unit. But I would strongly suggest that you get some validation of long term durability. See I first saw them in a very small add in a turf publication. At the time I didn't put 2 and 2 together. But later I did and I was quite instantly reminded of my experience with their really poor quality of implements. Low quality steel, lousy welds, ect... that soured me on them right there.

I'm not trying to sour you on purchasing one. I'm just saying I'd worry about you sinking money into one without some sort of validation.... The fact they seem popular among eXmark owners seems like a good sign...I also wouldn't buy from that eXmark dealer you don't like either.

5. ZH Turf Man

ZH Turf Man LawnSite Member

Twenty years ago I bought a five foot Bush Hog Squealer and it has been the most rugged, dependable piece of equipment that you could ask for. It has never needed anything replaced or fixed except shear pins. I have not babied it and use it to clear some really rugged brush and saplings. If their ZTR's are built anything like this machine I would say go for it.

6. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

I had the opportunity to look at and climb on (unfortunately not demo) one at a local farm show probably 3 years ago. I really liked the machine. Looked like it was built heavy and put together well - controls conveniently and logically placed. Jumped on their website, found my local dealer, called him, and he said he didn't bother to stock them and wouldn't I rather really have a Kubota? That's the same answer this jerk gave me when I was looking at CUTs not too long ago (he is also the local Agco dealer).

7. klm2

klm2 LawnSite Member

I have been looking at the Bush Hogs also and have been impressed by there quality and heavy duty construction. Can't understand this guy saying Bush Hog farm implements are poor quality. I was raised on a farm and Bush Hog stuff was the best.

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I looked at them probably 3 years ago, found a dealer in a small town, looked like a pretty good ztr mower.

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The Bushog ztr's are built very good. About 2 months ago I got to drive a 25 hp 61" around the dealers lot. Didn't get to mow with it but it was a pretty good mower. Unfortunately we wont be getting one because the dealer doesn't stock any parts for them. He has parts for the Kubota's but not the Bushog's. S for that reason we will be buying a JD or Ferris from the JD dealer. Not sure about all of the Bushog models but some of themmare made by Country Clipper. On their website it says that they have made mowers for bushog and several other companies. The Bushog tractor implements are amomg some of the best available so i'm sure the ztr's are to.

10. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

No current production models of Bush Hog mowers are made by County Clipper.