Bush hog?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, Jan 26, 2010.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Will a standard flow T300 run a bush hog type mower or will it not have enough hyd flow? Not mowing anything other than tall grass. Thanks

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Yes it will do pretty good.
    Keep the blades sharp.

3. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Out of curiosity, how many GPMs do you need for say a 5' or 6' QA rotary mower?

4. sawinredneck

sawinredneck LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

8gpm will run it, 12gpm will run it right.

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

GPM need to be converted to hp to get a realitive term for comparrison.
    GPM by itself means nothing. You have to have pressure as well.

Hyd hp = gpmxpsi/1714

20 GPM at 3000 psi= 35 hp

To pull a 5 foot bush hog behind a tractor you need 30 hp min to be effective.

I think the T300 puts out 20.7 GPM standard flow.

6. Barge Man

Barge Man LawnSite Senior Member

I would run our 6' bush hog on our T190 which was standard flow and it would do just fine. Our T300 doesent even know it on their:laugh: Hope this helps out.

7. Guest441

Guest441 LawnSite Member
    from 22102

Hydro drive bush hogs?
    Isn't that what the 540 PTO is for?

8. sawinredneck

sawinredneck LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Skid steers don't have PTO.
    Your conversion works for HP but not torque and in an all hydro machine you loose 15% of the HP to drive transference right off the bat.
    IF you find a manufacture that produces 3000psi factory let me know, they should be shut down! That is the "theoretical" operating pressure, but not realistic as it puts most components at burst capacity all the time. 2650 is more what you will see on most machines.
    You also have limited fluctuation in speed with a hydro unit unless you completely overload the system, which is doable.
    Also, I've yet to see a reasonable sized skid steer putting out 20, much less 30gpm! I can get that from a hydrostatic unit, but not hydraulic!

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Take a torch and open up the deck as much as possible so it cuts better in thick grass, it it's a Bobcat brush mower, just cut then entire deck away leaving only the motor, spindle and quick attach frame, they aren't the best. :laugh:

10. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

What im thinking about doing is putting a hydaulic motor om my woods 72 inch bush hog that I no longer use on the tractor due to the fact that I have a 15 foot batwing now. Was thinking the skid mounted unit would be nice to mow arround crap due to the hydro and being alot quicker that the tractor in tight spots. Now I just need to find a motor. I sure hope it cuts better than a 35 hp tractor on this mower. I have had it on a 85 hp tractor and that was about right. Thanks