bush hog

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by economiclawncare, Jul 5, 2004.

1. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

does any one use a bush hog that is pulled behind a atv. I seen some that are 12.5 hp. I was thinking about a tractor and getting a bush hog for that but if the tractor is 30hp pulling a 5' bush hog how much hp is going to the bush hog is it only about 10 hp because the other hp has to move the tractor. So if pull a bush hog with a riding mower then you have about 18 hp for that plus 12.5 for bush hog which equals 30.5 and sense i already have a riding mower i can by a bush hog for $1000 does that make sense to you all. Which way would you do it.
  2. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

come on dont just look at the post respond to it
  3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

The ones pulled behind a tractor are a lot bigger and more heavy duty than the ones pulled behind an ATV. It depends on how much and how often you use it.
    I currently have a Swisher brush hog that I pull behind my ATV. It works fine for smaller jobs but is under powered for heavy duty brush. It cost around $1200.00.
  4. ikesleeping

ikesleeping LawnSite Member

I use a Swisher pull behind 42" cut and a 12.5 HP(I think) behind a ATV to mow the horses lot of about 5 acres and it does a good job. But it will bog down in the heavier stuff and skip some grass but considering the price $795.00 a few years back it works out well.Hope this helps
  5. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

what do u plan on doing with it???
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

First 30 HP tractor will send about 22 hp(hydro) or 25 hp(gear) to the PTO. Most tractors use very little hp to move the tractor, the rest is for attachments, like loader, mower, brush hog, etc.

A 5' brush hog needs at least 20 hp to turn. 25 hp or more is better. 4' needs 15 hp, a 42" needs 12hp. Plus a diesel tractor has a lot more torque than a gas engine. I never have stalled my tractor, even when cutting 1.5" brush. Which is more than its rated for.

Tow behinds are for tall grass, and thats about it. A 3pt mounted tractor brush hog are for 1" to 3" brush.

Spend the money and get a real brush hog and a tractor.
  7. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Ive had a 5 foot bush hog on my 20hp JD 4100 (Hydro) It would run it but you could tell it was overloaded. I had to crawl along and if the blades touched the ground the whole unit would shake like crazy. Just the weight of it was alot for the tractor, if I didnt have the loader on at the same time I think my front wheels would have been in the air.. haha
  8. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Can you see it? There is something yello in there :confused:

9. cajuncutter

OH!! There it is!! What is that?!?!:eek:

10. cajuncutter

That my friends is the best 5200 bucks I ever spent!! I was wanting another Shortcut and Lonnie sent me this HOG along with a new carrier frame, tires 54 inch deck and a bunch of other goodies including mulch kit etc. This is a 48 inch HOG with a Kaw 23hp. The stuff I cut was over my head while standing up on this unit and I am 6'2" This thing is just plain BAD!!:D :cool: