Bush-hoggin' & then some...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TheLawnShark, Jul 17, 2007.

1. TheLawnShark

TheLawnShark LawnSite Member

I was wanting to get some help from you guys. I had a guy ask me to clear out some land for him. It is about 30 yards wide and about 75 yards long and is COMPLETELY OVERGROWN with shrubs, bushes, small trees, grass.... most anything you see in an abandoned area. I have no idea on how to go about pricing this. I know I will have to rent me a walk-behind bush-hog and a chipper/shredder, but I have no clue of how much to charge.
    I have pictures but I cannot get them to upload so any help on that would be good as well!! PLEASE give me some advice on how to go about pricing this job. Thanks you very much!

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Time and material.

If you work 10hr days, don't quote 2.5 days......1/2 day jobs don't exist with this, you'll hit a snag somewhere.

Time and material......have a good contract, people love to argue them. Know your hourly rate, know why you have that hourly rate (overhead) and if they argue your hourly rate walk away.

Don't forget fuel for the equip, dealing with the equip etc.

Disposal goes two ways. Have a $ per load and approx # of loads (best) or bring them the receipts (don't suggest).

3. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Advice?

If this isn't what you normally do then find out how much $$$ it will be to rent the equipment. Multiply that number by 1.5-2.0 times. Then think about how long it will take.

In reality, what's it worth to you? Can you make more money cutting grass or is this a good customer. These types of jobs I'll quote a price up front and ask that they pay for it in advance. If they don't feel comfortable with that ask them how you should feel about putting out the $$$ to do the job and they may not pay?

Remember, most of our customers ask us to do things because they don't want to do it themselves. They'd rather pay than sweat.

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I use a really heavy duty bush hog behind My Kubota L3710 tractor.
    It will take care of most anything calf size and smaller.
    I then keep running over the material till it gets smaller.
    From that point it depends on how far the customer wants too go from there.
    If he wants the stumps from the trees removed as well I usually bring in the skid and push everything up and then bushog the pile and spread across property.

If it is mostly unedrbrush and only needs Bushhogging it should not take long.
    I would charge in the 250 too 500 range .
    That however is based off of what I think the property looks like.
    I also do this kinda work quite often.

I like too leave the mulch that is generated on property.
    It will rot away pretty quick and helps prevent erosion.

5. TheLawnShark

I can get the bush-hog for $45/day but I will probably have to rent a chipper/shredder, and thats $120/day. I feel like I could get the job done in 2 days with another helper. I can't use a tractor or anything on it because 3/4 of the job is on a steep embankment. This is not a normal customer who I cut grass. I just happened to do a mulching job for him and he then asked me if I could do this. I am still trying to put pictures up so you will have a better understanding. Thanks!

6. geckos

geckos LawnSite Member

question for you how low is the guy wanting it, would it be easier to use a bobcat to clear the area and haul away the remains I know it would be quicker and less painstaking if you must use the bush hog and chipper you will need to figure rental, gas and how much you will be able to do in 1 hour then add 20% to your labor for unseen areas that might cause problems, make sure you check area for rocks as the bush hogs dont like them and will slow you down. dont forget about disposal fees when you put your bid together can you leave it or do you have to haul it away

7. TheLawnShark

OK.. I Finally figured out how to post some pictures so here they are!

Their is a little creek at the bottom of the hill and thats how far I have to go down to. I have to go past the telephone pole to the street and then just bout as far over as you can see. As from the pictures, this thing is a mess and will be one hectic job if I do it!!

DSC00501.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

8. TheLawnShark

A few more pictures.... PLEASE just let me know how to go about pricing this. I was thinking of at least $1600. I may be way to high or way to low. Like i said, I have never quoted a job like this so please let me know what you guys think.

DSC00506.jpg

DSC00507.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

9. geckos

geckos LawnSite Member

ok here in colorado I charge 1.00$ to 1.25$ per square foot to remove and dispose of whatever is on it (ie. landscaping, rocks, bushes ect..) trees would be extra as it looks like those are pretty good size 15-20 feet most chippers will handle 6 in branches or stems last one i rented was good to 12inch but would reasonable chip 10inch was 300 a day plus fuel do you need to get rid of the chippings looks like there will be alot 1600 seems low but it will depend on your econamy there cost of living here is pretty high i would think that 2400.00$ would be a little more closer to cost and would cover any unforseen issues. are the power lines going to be an issue and do you have to be licenced to cut trees around the power lines?

10. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

2500 to 3000 Just a rough estimate though
    but be careful with the trees as well as the hill looks kind steep in places.
    If you decide to do it take some after photos and post them on here so we can see how it turned out.
    Good Luck with it