Bush hogging 30+- acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, May 26, 2002.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for some thoughts on a tractor that can handle bush hogging about 30 acres in a day, but yet be loaded on a trailer, without use of a goosneck. We have been toying with getting into the bush hogging end of this service for some time.
  2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Your going to be needing at least a 30 pto hp tractor. Do you want new or used check out your local dealers. Be careful with bush hog work those rear tires can be expensive to fix.
    As far as new tractors go Jd MF Nh and Kubato all make well built tractor in the compact range that would haul great. Used look for a 135 Massey Fergson(good luck) or a 2 or 3000 ford these are all great tractors that would be easy to haul and maintain.
  3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i cut 47 acres at a factory, i use a jd 4400 with 12' batwing mower, it's trailerable, but it would take at least a 24' trailer and some meat to pull it with, especially with a bumper pull trailer.
  4. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

3 words bob cat with tracks
  5. gusndemboyz

gusndemboyz LawnSite Member

Bob cat with tracks , thats 4 words isn't it. Depending on how fast you are able to mow. If you are able to mow at 5 mph you could mow 3 acres a hour with a 6 ft. bushhog. This would have you putting in a 10 hour day. The bigger the mower the bigger the tractor, the bigger the price tag.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Anything that is 30+ hp. out of the PTO, and you can't go wrong. Anything less, and you'll regret it at some point or the other. Also, a diesel would be awsome for this, as you'll be running it for hours, and it has that low end torque you'll want at times. The dog-gone thing about these tractors, is that you can't go wrong, as an investment. As you'll find out as you do a bit of research and shopping around, you pay about as much for a USED tractor as you do a NEW one! I would love to have a decent mid size like this, and I tell myself that everyday. Nothing big, just something around 30 to 35 hp out the back, w/ a front bucket (WAY too useful not to have), I would also opt for hydrostatic, as this makes bucket work so much more efficient, and four wheel drive as well. Good luck with it, and happy shopping!
  7. eggy

Thoughts on a John Deere 790?
  8. eggy

Is it true the pto hp mis generally 86% of the tractors gross hp? So a 790 would be at 26 hp for the pto ...to small?
  9. cglservice

cglservice LawnSite Member
    from Ky

yes a 790 would be a little slow you can run a 6' shreader with it but it would havet to be a lite duty model. Very good machine with four wheel drive. I run a 6' woods finish mower on mine plenty of power and it makes good time. But if you are going to get in to loader work then the hydro trans. would be more efficent.
    Go with whats is comfortable for you , and check you dealers out well dont let the name on a machine be the decideing factor. You may need service later. Good Luck
  10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

As per my brochure on the 790..

It has 25 rated PTO hp with 3 cyclinder diesel. JD has a good price on the 790, but I think its too small for a 6' rotary cutter.

Without a FEL (Front end loader), the weight of the 'hog is going to make the 790 really squirly.

If you're going to add a FEL, then hydro is a must. Hydros lose more power than geared (like the 790) to the PTO.