Bush-Hogging Bid - Your Input, Please

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Pecker, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

What would you charge for this? Bush-hogging/brush-hogging/rotary cutting. It is a 15 acre tract hay field that needs to be mowed before the hay starts growing so the crop will be more pure. Tall grass only, no woody stuff. . .pretty much the ideal property as far as wear and tear on equipment goes. In ideal conditions (not muddy, no extra heavy stuff to cut, no steep hills. . .just sitting on the tractor and mowing), what would you charge?

Also, its a one-time cut. I'd usually give a lower price if the work will be on-going but on one-timers I usually go a little higher.

Your thoughts, please on what you would charge and how you come up with your rates. Thanks!

2. dwmason

dwmason LawnSite Member

In Oklahoma, I would get somewhere around $400

3. I would be around $375. Didn't we just go through this the other day.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

How many hours will the job take you?

5. 8404

8404 LawnSite Member

I'm not wanting to bother anyone set on their state pricing but in the great red neck state of Mississippi I get 50 bucks an hour so you just need to know how fast can you mow each acre. I have a 15 acre lot with hills ditches and a large pond that i get paid 750.00 for and its usually overgrown when it gets cut.
    so to be fare to yourself i would ask to cut it at an hourly rate you want then next year you will know. this helps on the event that you run over some unknown object and run into some repair cost too. next year you will be faster at cutting it and will end up makeing even more per hour since your farmilar with the property.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I quoted $400-500 which I feel was a fair price. Turns out they were price-shopping me because he said the guy who cuts the hay may be able to do it afterall. Give me a break! Odds are he used me and others to figure out his hay guy's price was in line afterall. Win some, lose some. . .

7. Heavyduty1

Heavyduty1 LawnSite Member

Thats the way the bushhog business is sometimes. I had a local landscape company call me 3 differnt times for price quotes on jobs before I found out he was just seeing what he should charge. The LAST time he called I told him it would be $10,000 (really was a $2000 job) over the phone, no more calls from him.:laugh:

8. 8404

8404 LawnSite Member

Ive lost some bush-hog work due to a neighbor offering to cut the field for free so he could sell the hay as profit, how can you compete with free mowing?

9. mbstump

mbstump LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,first time poster here,I enjoy the site,very informative.I understand your problem of trying to compete with someone that will work for free,it just don't work.I have a problem with a fellow down the road that has lots of money and bought some used equipment just because he could,he isn't trying to make a living from it like I am,and he works for beer,I gave prices on 2 jobs a while back and the customers booked me,I set a date to do the work and the next day they both called and said they didn't need me because so and so stopped by with his machine and done the work and all he wanted was a couple beer.VERY frustrating:cry:

10. Morningside

Morningside LawnSite Member

I was paying $25 an acre. The quotes I got ranged from $25 to $35. No discount for volume. No nudging on price. It was expensive so this year we bought a JD 5075e. Now I am dealing lowballers or as I call them" people with no overhead " trying to get extra work to pay for the new machine. Set your price and stick to it.
    Posted via Mobile Device