1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bush-Hogging Bid - Your Input, Please

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Pecker, Mar 28, 2011.

1. skennedy04

skennedy04 LawnSite Member

I must be !!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. skennedy04

Wish o could get that kind of money per acre I would only work one day a week and just go fishing the rest of the time!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I thought you were getting rich off your snow and ice management division down there?
  4. skennedy04

The snow and ice management isn't as lucrative as I thought it would be down here...lol!!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Well according to the resident tree huggers here at LS, I'll be in the same position as you inside of a year or so.
  6. skennedy04

If you listened to to much on here it would make you want to neck yourself !!!
  7. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well, Valley Crest charges $1200 for bush hogging a 3 acre retention pond here. We just bush hogged and string trimmed half an acre for $450. You just have to find people with money who care about you having liability insurance. Otherwise, some meth addict borrowing his brother's cousin's in law's tractor will do a $450 job for $50.

The thing people don't understand is this, "yes, it costs $100 in diesel to cut your however many acres, so yes, I COULD just charge you $250 for the job and make money." But what happens when you hit a pile of buried re-bar under 4 feet of grass and have to spend $2000 on a new PTO clutch, or you bend a $130 set of blades and have to spend half a day driving back home to grinder cut the twisted rebar away from the axle of your bush-hog?

Too many guys screw themselves trying to just get work without looking at the hidden and underlying costs of doing that work...
  8. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

$65 an hour
  9. samjdmosher

samjdmosher LawnSite Member

$60/hr with a discount given if I don't hit anything or get stuck in your crappy swamp that you forgot to tell me about.
    Back a few years when housing was just starting to peter out in the suburbs I paid for my rig in a summer and made a little extra mowing developments that were overgrown. I learned quick to charge by the hour with all those obstacles and piles of unknown garbage in the way. It also helps when people figure out that if they have it cut more than once every other month it takes less than 1/2 the time and actually costs less overall.

1977 Case 1370 with a 15' John Deere rough cut bat-wing mower
  10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I would get $1500. for that here!