Bush-hogging job

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by neonrider, Sep 17, 2013.

?

Please voice your opinion on this specific bush-hoggin job

Poll closed Oct 17, 2013.
  1. Excellent job!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Great job!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nice job!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Above average job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Average job

5.3%
  6. Satisfactory job

5.3%
  7. So-so job

31.6%
  8. Below average job

5.3%
  9. Too high of a cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Unsatisfactory job

52.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Who is paying for a double cut. He already lost his butt on the one pass deal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. neonrider

neonrider LawnSite Member

Yes, I agree, there are always two sides of a story. I understand them both. I wish I could make $50 an acre or more doing it myself, if I could afford a tractor and the building etc. and probably a good alarm system as well with a phone line on the agriculturally zoned field. Get some music an enclosed cabin with a/c and go! Yet with an income of around $800 a month there's not much one can do. I saved up these money over the year. Even the $250 is a lot of money to me right now. So I was going either to find someone for $250 or wait another year and pay $500 or perhaps do it myself more often with a garden tractor where it would cost me ~$50 in gas costs per 10 acres not more and take me ~15-20 hours to mow it. Not so bad, I could get over $10 per hour. I talked to many landscapers of all sorts and they told me that the diesel cost $40 per my field, so making $210 for a half day work, less repairs etc. one still makes about say $150 per half day in South Carolina with 40% unemployment is not that bad at all! My wife says wow! I have people come asking me for work, they're willing to work for 5 hours for $20!! And they are Americans! One was trying to steal my $1500 riding lawnmower the other night. Got one with a 52" deck and gonna use it on my 10 acres after work, work nights. People are becoming desperate. If I owned a decent tractor with a 10-15' deck I would work 14 hour days no weekends at $25 per acre I would make a lot of money and I do not need much to live. If anyone wants to offer me $30 per acre and a tractor I'm in! I can work 14 hours every day no weekends. Columbia, SC.

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

without seeing any 'before' pics, it's hard to tell what kind of job it was. But man... I'm glad that brush hogging pays what it does around here!

4. neonrider

Actually it is Orangeburg county, one of the poorest in the country, with 40%+ unemployment. GDP per capita lower than poorest country in Eastern Europe or Latin America. How much would you charge to do this in Bolivia? This is what it is. Someone making $2000 a month is already rich here.

5. neonrider

My post is not a complaint. I'm trying to be fair. Just wanted the job evaluated.

6. neonrider

The brush was 3 to 6 feet high, mostly 4-5 ft. and quite dense, with very thick weed in a lot of places, but the field is flat, without much obstacles, but a couple places to drive around. $300 is average here to do an excellent job, which is $30 an acre for a perfect cut.

7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Neonrider I know their are places within SC (and all states) that have been rocked hard. I feel your pain but I have to LOL at your last sentence in post number 14. Your willing to get paid $30 per acre which would equal $300 for your ten acres on someone elses tractor inwhich they paid for (or are paying for) and ride on thier insurance and fuel costs. It doesn't work that way. Again I understand where your coming from and hope things improve for everyone soon.

8. we do acreage for $30 an acre, yes its low, but it only brings in $150 to $210 per hour, maybe we need to be charging more.

9. neonrider

Hmmm, not exactly, I'm willing to work within the $30 per acre less the owner's costs, perhaps they'll pay me $5 or $10 per acre. That's what I mean. Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I'm thinking getting my own tractor to do landscaping biz, but it is very hard to get any loan these days past $2500. I wish everyone to become rich, of course.

10. neonrider

$150 to $210 per hour? Are you serious? That is fantastic money even if owning a tractor and a trailer truck! You must be using a 15' bat wing deck.