Bush Hogging marketing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Moose's Mowing, May 4, 2014.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

I've been bush hogging a few years now in addition to my regular mowing route. I love it. Anyway, I purchased another trailer this year specifically to haul my new (to me) tractor. My last one (kubota) fit on the mowing trailer but just barely. My (new) New Holland won't fit on the 16' with the bush hog. I found a cheap decent trailer and got it fixed up. More for my own sanity of not having to constantly load & unload the mowing trailer.

So long story short, I'd like to hit this service pretty hard this season. Hogging season starts here around late June. Any ideas on how to market this niche service to land several jobs? I've thought about this all winter but can't come up with anything.

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in the same boat. I really wanted to push it. The only person I've seen on here is Krazy.

Yellow dog does a lot of mulching but his market is completely different than mine
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

yeah I've seen Krazy's threads. Seems like there's maybe a better market down south than up here.

I'm in a semi-rural area. Lots of farms around here, but lots of yuppies move out this way to get away from the hustle and bustle of town. The farmers will obviously have their own outfits, but my target clients would be horse "farm" owners, people with some acreage that need it maintained once or twice per year, etc. I think lots of people see it as something that doesn't need done, so they don't bother with it. I've got a handful of customers that get done twice per year but that's maybe only half dozen or so. I'd love to get some small-ish municipal work or power line/pipeline work but not sure if they do their own mowing or don't even worry about it. Let alone how to pursue that angle.

I love doing it, easy money and gives me time to ponder other crazy ideas I have without having to rush around from yard to yard. It's my zen time I guess lol

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I guess were the only ones on here lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Ill put my $0.02 in this evening.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Nicktw25

Nicktw25 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm awaiting Krayz's $0.02. I also have a Kubota with a bush hog that doesn't get much use. Would love to know how to market it.

7. nmclands

nmclands LawnSite Member

I do lots of mowing for housing developers, with a batwing though.

When they come in and pave the roads and put in utilities for a neighborhood, they need someone to mow, all of those empty lots until they build a house. But we are not just mowing one lot, I mow blocks, 15 to 30 at a time. The least amount I have even pulled up to was 60 lots. But then comes the weed eating.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Id see if the local coops and feed stores will let you post a flier and leave some business cards. A lot of "hoarse farmers" are getting old and cant cut the pastures anymore.

Then there is the other crowed that wants you to bushog mature trees.

9. KrayzKajun

A lot of my bushhogging comes from me being proactive. I send emails to realtors and land companies on a weekly basis.

Also I'm famous for sending text messages to forsale signs on overgrown properties. Landed me a few really good jobs.

And this year we landed a job cutting a 2acre lot on a major road right at a 4way red light. (Came from sending a text to the 4sale sign)I made a deal with the property owner, gave him a discount if we could put our sign up on the property. Best idea ever. Landed 3 yearly contracts for bushhogging off that sign. And going look at another in the morning.
    It's a 4'x8' double sided sign and say Bushhogging & lot clearing , w/ phone number and state lic & insured. Big and simple, easy to read. I plan to have 100 yard signs just like this big one made and plaster them around our new service area.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. KrayzKajun

Also forgot bushhogging is more cut throat than mowing yards. Guys with 1970 beat old tractors will price for less than $20 acre. For jobs less than 5 acres I shoot for $65-$125/acre depending on height of brush, thickness and if its been mowed recently(if any hazards removed) over 5acres I can come down on the price some depending on the frequency of cuts. I stick to my prices and always try to upsell other services.
    Posted via Mobile Device