Bush Hogging Prices in MO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Sep 27, 2007.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Saw a flyer today for bush hogging, and thought I'd pass this along. Guy has two different sizes, 15 foot, and 7 foot for smaller properties. Says no job too large or too small.

The gist of it was this. Thirty acres and up, starting price, $8 per acre! Smaller properties are $37.50 per hour. I'm assuming the $8 is his minimum, although the flyer gives the impression it is less for more acreage. I figure the $8 figure is for cutting relatively flat, overgrown weeds and such. Surely he charges more for cutting sprout patches?

Don't think I'll run out and invest $50,000 or so in a new tractor and bush hog anytime soon.

I can't wait to see a reply from Mr. O'Brian. :)

2. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like some old farmer trying to make a house payment. I cant see anyone staying in business on those prices. I made 800 today alone. Going back tomorrow for another 800 plus a 200 lot in another neighborhood.

Gave a quote today of 140 per acre on 14 acres of land. About a day and a half work.
    At 8 acres he would have to do 40 per day just to make 320.

I get that much for an acre and a half

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Kevin, sorry I mispelled your name. Long day. :)

From the flyer, I got the impression this guy is in the bush hogging business, although he may well be a farmer trying to make a little extra on the side. At those prices, I don't see how he can clear enough to pay expenses.

4. KTO Enterprises

Neither can I.

I run a small tractor and I figure in the long run it still costs me around 40 to 50 per hour between transportation, fuel, maintenance and repairs

5. redneck1198

redneck1198 LawnSite Member

all of the bush hogging i do starts out at $150 and goes up. even if its a 1/2 acre. and for bigger jobs it never goes below $50 an acre.

6. KTO Enterprises

hey Mr Neck. I think you are killing yourself right out of money. Everyone I know regardless of location has at least a 200 minimum. Fuel trucks and tires are getting too expensive.

7. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I charge a minimum of $350 to $400 depending on my mood. Just hooking up the bushhog, loading it in the trailer, and driving 5 to 20 miles kills 1/2 a day.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

man, it sounds like I need to get into the brushog business.

9. KTO Enterprises

To me its better than mowing lawns. I make more in the summer on the tractor than i do the rest of the year cutting lawns. It is harder work in a lot of ways.

Extremely hot. Sit in one spot for hours at a time. a lot dirtier. more yellow jackets than you care to imagine.

Potential repair bills that are more than a used ZTR. But when life is good its great.

This is all honesty.in august i made 12,700 on the tractor, and thats 16 days of work.

I have 214 hours on the one I bought in April and have already grossed over 40 grand with it this year.

10. redneck1198

redneck1198 LawnSite Member

KTO. the bad thing about the $200 min is there are lots of guys doing bush hogging down here and they charge $150, so if i push my rates up i lose alot of work