Bush Hogging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ribit, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ribit

ribit LawnSite Member

Any of you guy's do any bush hogging? Is it profitable? Thanks

2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I do bush-hogging. I have a 48hp John Deere with a 6 ft bush-hog. I charge more for bush-hogging than I do mowing because its harder on equipment(and tires) and more dangerous. It can be profitable if your cutting grass and weeds on flat ground. If your cutting real brush(small,trees,rocks,etc) then the wear and tear could cost you more than you make.

3. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

Ditto... If you could get hooked up with a new development or realtor that has lots to upkeep that just wants them bush hogged you could make some money. I've got a couple of lake side sub divisions I do for a realtor that's just grass and we run a 7' bushog to cut it. The only other type of bush hogging I do is for a couple of horse farms. I won't even take my equipment into brush and stuff anymore. After you pay to get the tips/blades sharpened, replaced, fix flats, etc... It's not all that profitable.

4. YGWBill

YGWBill LawnSite Member

I have a compact tractor and 4 foot brush hog I cut grass and weeds and get 50 an hour

5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

there is a farmer around here that does it for $5.00 per acre.....:dizzy:

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

ribit
    all of the above is true. i've done it for about 10 yrs. with a ford 4000 and 6 ft. brushog. $50 an hour at a minimum. also beware when your told theres nothing in the field to hit. i've been into everything from 4'' pipe to old barbwire. one big repair bill and you've cut half a year for nothin.

7. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

$50 an hr. here also, just be careful, your bound to hit rocks, logs, or anything else that's been laying there for years and years! It's profitable as long as you don't break anything!

8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We do it all the time and get $60.00 per hr. Just need the right type of blades.

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

One of my first jobs for someone else was at a lco in Indy they had me bush hog. Why, I have no idea, looking back I was 18 and well 18. The job they sent me on was really a small forest a bunch of 1-2 inch diameter trees with high grass and bigger weeds. I had the loader bucket up just below eye level to knock down the small trees in front. Anyway it was so thick you couldn't see the terrain and I'm cruising along and just drove right into a big ravine, the bucket kept me from flipping the thing. Out in the middle of nowhere, no cell phones yet , the thing was stuck standing on its bucket the blades spinning like a fan way up in the air, bush hogging was very exciting. Nobody out here knows what it is.

10. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Roy Megli,

"Just need the right type of blades."

OK, I bite, what are the "right type of blades". Other than the blades that come from the bush hog manufacturer, what is there? From Bush Hog I can get a light duty and a heavy duty blade for my unit. One is simply wider and heavier than the other. Same steel, thye both bend, they both nick, and periodically they break and fly off just to brighten up your day.

As far as I know, there is nowhere else I can buy blades for this thing. Are you saying their are other brands and types of blades available? Please enlighten us. Curious minds need to know.

deej