bush hogging

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by amobcp, Aug 28, 2004.

1. amobcp

amobcp LawnSite Member

just wondering how many calls you lawn guys get for bush hog work.

2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have had five calls in the last 3 weeks. The last one I just finished was a 30 acre piece of commercial property that was for sale. This week I am going to look at some dairy pasture a couple just bought, and want cleared. I do bushhogging to fill in when mowing slows down in late summer.

3. logorhea

logorhea LawnSite Member

Around here there're a lot of abandoned farms that the city folk are buying. I found that in very high (3'+) conditions, using a hay mower first saved time. The rotary cutter pushes the grass over so it doesn't get cut short and you have to go over it again anyway. Saplings, multi-flora rose and burdock just pop back up with one side shaved. I used a disc mower that let me run in 6th or 7th gear, then, if they wanted the stuff shredded so it decomposes faster, ran a rotary or flail mower over it. The disc mower will take out saplings maybe an inch thick.

4. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

I BushHog about 30 hours a month along with my reguler moweing. but i dont get many new calls for bush hog work, i just have contracts that are year round for it