1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bush/plant suggestions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by coolbrze, Sep 3, 2008.

1. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

I'm redoing a small front flower garden for a town/rowhouse that's about 12' x 12'. The whole front yard is a flower garden as are almost all in the neighborhood. They have several azaleas that we'll be removing along w/ some ground cover, misc. weeds, & vines. After the new shrubs are put in, we'll be mulching the whole thing.

Basically they'd like some low maintenance shrubs/bushes planted that will provide some color for long periods. What do you recommend for VA climates? I had thought about boxwoods, crapemyrtles, some Encore Azaleas, Barberry bushes and they thought all were good suggestions but I'm looking for more ideas. Thanks in advance!
  2. ViceNut

ViceNut LawnSite Member

boxwoods (winter gems) are a good choice for a shade of lime-ish green, some sky pencil holly's will give you some different height/shape plus are extremely low maint., maybe some knock-out roses, soft touch holly's (no color, just green, but another very low maint. shrub), ummm lemme think. There are also some loropetalums we can get here that only grow 2' high x 4' wide. I forgot the specific name off the top of my head, but thats another option........hmmmmm, maybe some dwarf mop cypress bushes? With all those bushes, they are low maint., plus you have yellow, red, light green, dark green, and purple. :cool2:

Just a few ideas
  3. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

enough with the barberry on this site they are INVASIVE.
  4. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

Light requirements & zone of site??
  5. GreenShoeRanger

GreenShoeRanger LawnSite Member

abelias,knockout roses and karley rose fountain grass will provide four seasons of interest as well as low maintenance.
  6. ViceNut

ViceNut LawnSite Member

yeh, if there was never another barberry ever planted in the world, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit! Im not a big fan of abelias either though