1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bush Trimmin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

When is the correct time to trim bushes? I have been doing it as part of fall downtime or mid summer slow days.

Second question: how in the heck do you prune/hedge junipers to give them a good appearance. (Assuming that i get called after a few years of untrimmed growth)
    I would like to trim them by tying them to a bulldozer and driving away. Some people actually like them though. I cant understand it. No accounting for taste though.
  2. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what type of shrubs are being trimmed or pruned.There are many puning techniques..Thinning,Heading back,pinching,shearing.If a plant flowers in the spring the best time is after the flowers have faded.A good book on puning will be a big help to you.As far as Junipers,pune each species to conform to the desired shape in the spring or summer.When trimming a neglected evergreen do not trim to deep{in to the wood}you may leave a hole that may not fill back in.Hope this helps,JRB...Oh,on very neglected shrubs a chain saw or dozer are options....then you can sell'em a new Install.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of people neglect to feed these.
    I like areal good slow release w trace
    minerals.Ive seen them turned into somthing
    real nice in a season or two_Of course
    the trim and prune needs to be done as
    jrblawn said first.If its bad, cut as much back as
    possible so you can build it your self.
    Sorry for murdering your name jrb.