Bush trimming ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ozd12005, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a call today from someone looking for a one time bush trimming, daytime temps are in the 40's and the overnight temps are in the 30's. Is it a good idea to wait till the spring to do this job or will I be ok doing it now ?

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

If she's cute then go for it. Just be careful if you have a wife.

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Is it a blossoming bush? Do you know what kind it is? It is better to trim blossoming shrubs just after the bloom so that the new blossoms are not damaged.

4. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

can't say without knowing what type of plant you want to prune.

With these temperatures though, i would not want to do anything that might encourage buds to break. Any new growth that results will be hit with frost soon enough & die back.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I agree, I don't like to do anything to make it look ugly and have to wait until spring to grow back. The other side as mentioned is you don't want to trim off any blooming buds before spring. It really depends on the plant. Pruning vs Trimming.

6. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you have a lot of time on your hands to come up with that

As for everyone else that responded thanks for the input and I plan on waiting till the spring to do the job

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Don't trim any type of budding/flowering bush until after it blooms but if its an evergreen yew, juniper, boxwood, burning bush then go ahead and trim it and it will be fine. Just do trimming, dont do any type of cut back as it will stress the plant to much during the winter months.