BUSHES, great money maker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BUSHMASTER, Sep 16, 2000.

1. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

we have talked lawn and other stuff..
    Bushes you have the right to charge premium price for this service..its like air brushing a specialty....i try to estimate my time since thats what customers want to hear i try to figure $65. per hour i work alone so its only me. this price is just for bushes that i keeep trimed new service on ones i don't i'll get as much as $85. per hour just because of the mess. what do ya'll do ?

2. steverino

steverino LawnSite Member

$85 per hour! You are actually getting that. Three hours over $250 yikes. It takes some real "horsepower" to do that.

3. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. There is great money in hedges. I hate doing it, but the money is great. I think, man I really do not want to do it, so I give them a high price. They still say, just get it done and bill me!! Unbelievable what people will pay for trimming bushes.

4. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

yea $85. per hour bushes that have not been touched in 6 mos
    more clean up . as far as hp with my sthil ext.trimmer on a stick it cuts down on having a ladder on a hill you could reach all the way around standing in one place. you can do a lot in an hour most homes around here i can make it around the foundation bushes in about an hour..to save time on clean up take some tarps 2 or three place them in the ground and let the clippings fall right in save a lot of time that is if you can't hide the clippings under the bush.
    it's nit cheating it recycling.Its also i great time to restaw or mulch and redefine the bed $$$$$$ more cheeze

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 09-17-2000 at 02:15 AM]

5. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yeah that fig. sounds about right. Most folks don't want to mess with them, & if you have the tools, 'You da Man!'
    Most homes have only about 1 hrs. worth of shrubs, some more, some less. Commercial work can get you lots of green...
    I have the Stihl FS-85, but didn't get the hedge trimmer attatchment yet. There's always next year......

6. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I think you're right about that. Esp if there are a lot of them or they're really big ones. I factor in a higher charge if I need a ladder. I just got a Stihl FS85, and on the recom. of responses to posts here, an articulating trimmer attachment for it. Man can you ever cut tall hedgerows with this!

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Yea, I agree with the other posts! The right equipment, gas trimmers and FS-85 with hedge clipper attachment, make the job easy.

8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont like doing them. I figure what I need for my time and add 50% of that to it. If they want me to do it its gonna cost.:)

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't wait til next year, at 200 bucks for the attatchment, get it now. I shoot for 60 per hour on shrubs/bush trimming, 80 on the fs85 articulater. no ladder, make mucho denero. dave g

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have yet to figure out how to make money off them. People around here don't think its a premium service. They think its terrible if you want as much as the grass cutting part. Doesn't matter how long it takes. When I figure the job should be say $150, the customer thinks it should be $45. I don't mind doing them, I just hate dealing with the customers over the money.

The trimmer attachment for the stihl was a wise $$$ decision on my part this year.