Bushhog brand ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sneaky, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

Looking around the other day and found some seemingly good deals on demo ztr's. 3 bushhog brand out front mowers with 60 and 72" decks from 6 to 6 1/2 grand. All of these were at one dealer from up north. Just wondering if any of you fellas up there ran them or what you've heard.

2. haferlawn

haferlawn LawnSite Member

I am currently using a bushhog ztr model 2761 and love it. I looked closely at all major players before buying. Bushhog +'s are, full suspension seat and headlights are standard, an ALL 7 gauge deck, fans on top of the hydro pumps and a much larger hydro fluid tank, both of which help keep the fluid cooler. The mowers are also a little heavier than the others (100lbs) = more steel!. I also liked the more open engine-drive train area, its much easier to clean and service. The others seem to stuff everything in as tight as possibly. Do I need to keep going? Hope this helps you.

3. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I would think you could get a better deal on demoed equipment. I got a brand new 60" gravely 25 hp with the hydro lift deck and eye q system for 6700.00 Shop around for late and early season deals, they are out there.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

How you liking the new Gravely? Cut well?

5. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

Thanks haferlawn, I can't get much info from anyone on here that is that useful. All everyone talks about seems like is Exmark and they really didn't impress me too much. Nice to know someone else is giving something else a try.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I drove one around the dealers lot and it seemed like a great mower. They are built heavy and designed very well and are a quite a bit cheaper than some of the more popular brands. $6000-$6500 sounds like a great deal on a demo machine. Almost too good to pass up.

7. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

Thanks Travis, I saw somewhere that you had a jd and woods mower. Just wondering what u thought of these mowers. Which do u like the best?

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We hate them both. The JD is a F-620 z trac front mount with a 20 hp Kohler. It is built like a tank and it will mow anything. We use it for a bushog as much as we mow grass with it. It is too slow and underpowered. It only goes about 5-5.5 mph and 20 hp just isn't big enough for a 60" deck. That being said it is a very good mower and couldn't be without it.

The Woods that we have is a M2560 mid mount with a 25 hp Kohler and a 60" deck. It has plenty of power and goes about 9 mph so it passes that z trac like its sitting still. If the grass is dry it cuts very good and does a great job. If the grass is the least bit damp or wet it will clog up and wont discharge the grass. I know another guy that has a Woods like ours and his is the same way. I am going to try something in the spring that will hopefully make the woods quit clogging and do as good in wet grass as it does in dry grass.