Bushhog brand ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ccl, Nov 7, 2006.

1. ccl

ccl LawnSite Member
    from ky

Wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these mowers? Looking at their website it seems like they are a pretty well built mower. Some of the info I got from the website:

Standard Sus. Seat
    Available 28hp efi motor
    7 gauge fabricated deck 5 1/2" deep deck
    18,500fpm Blade Tip Speed
    Wide discharge opening
    pivoting front axle
    Hydrogear pumps and parker wheel motors/ doesn't state the size of the pumps, probably 10L or 12L
    3 yr warranty 3rd year parts only

thats just some of the info I got, I know that doesn't amount to much without actually demoing one, but seems like it would be a mower worth taking a look at. Anyway if anybody has any experience with them I'd appreciate some feedback.

2. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

I have one. I bought it used. It is a very well built machine. It comes standard with lights so you can mow at night if you ever feel the need. I would suggest you demo one and see if you like it. You will be very happy with it as I have had no issues with mine. It leaves a nice cut and is very powerful.
    Hope this helps!:usflag:

3. ccl

ccl LawnSite Member
    from ky

[jmurphy]
    [I have one. I bought it used. It is a very well built machine. It comes standard with lights so you can mow at night if you ever feel the need. I would suggest you demo one and see if you like it. You will be very happy with it as I have had no issues with mine. It leaves a nice cut and is very powerful.]

How's the clipping dispersal? Do you ever have to double cut because of stringers? How's it do on hills? I forgot about the standard light kit, I never mow in the dark, but it's still nice to have. Do you happen to know what size the hydro pumps are? I was also looking at what's new for '07 and there showing a top speed of 14 mph, I also noticed that they added a steel reinforcment all the way around the edge of the deck.

4. jmurphy

Mine is a few years old so things may have changed but mine disperses clippings very well,and I never have to double cut due to stringers. Im not sure as to the size of the pumps.

5. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know what an average price is for one of the bushhogs. 52'+ deck with that 28EFI? Just wondering becuse I've heard there nice but I think I also heard there price's were higher.

6. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i priced a 20/44 at the deere house today and it was 4200.

7. ccl

ccl LawnSite Member
    from ky

[MattsMowing3535]
    [Does anyone know what an average price is for one of the bushhogs. 52'+ deck with that 28EFI? Just wondering becuse I've heard there nice but I think I also heard there price's were higher]

I don't think they make a 52" deck, I believe it's a 55" deck from looking at their web site. As far as price I don't have any idea, but I can't imagine that they would be as high as the Exmarks, Scags etc., I'm going to try and find a dealer close to me and get a price and maybe a demo.

8. jmurphy

Yeah they have a 52" deck. Its an older model but I have one.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Worst riding mower I've ever been on. It would jar every bone in your body compared to other ZTR's. But it was heavy built but a rattle trap. Felt like everything was loose. Cut just OK. Scalps on hills due to the pivoting front end. Jut my 2 cents. It would be at the bottom of my list of mowers. Underside of deck not very impressive, like the name says it's basically a bush hog.

10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen them at my Deere Dealer as well. I thought they "looked" kinda cheap. Yes, I paid more for the Deere I bought, but I feel like it was alot more machine with proven reliability. I cannot really comment any more than that as I never demoed it but from what I have seen in the machine I was not impressed.