1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bushhogboy help me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Apr 2, 2003.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a dilema. I use a 36" Great Dane WB. When I bought the unit mid summer last year I was told I could put a bagger, or grassgobler on it. Well getting ready to start my clean ups this year and found out that I cant put a bagger on the unit with a dethatcher because it bogs it down to much. (only 15 hp) Even though it would take more time I was going dethatch then pop the rake off put the grassgobler on it then go over the lawn again to pick up grass and leaves. Well now I found out that there is no grassgobler that fits or is made for 36" Great Dane. Any suggestions how I could make shift some sort of light weight bagger?? Thinking of attaching a mesh bag onto it somehow. I have access to a welder but trying to come up with a design.
  2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

have you looked into the accelerator catchers. they are made of aluminum. very lightweight kinda pricy thought. But well worth the money. otherwise look for someone that makes a mesh bagger for your mower. Does Great Dane not offer a catcher of some sort?
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Call This Number and Talk to John Gibson 1-704-359-0403 You Will Be Able to update to A 10 Bushel Bagger when Needed. You will Start with a 3.5.

Go into Search Gibson
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask BHB how much he'd charge to make one. He made his own.
  5. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

J. Thomas lists a grass gobbler type catcher for a great dane 36.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Actually Chris I'm not gonna make any for other people unless I have the mower right in front of me and there isn't a GD dealer anywhere around here... My only suggestion is take one of those baggers you like and have your welder weld two peices of angle iron (3/16" thick 1x1x1 will do) to it and weld 1/2" rod onto that pointing down make them 4 1/2" long, make these fit into two peices of pipe 4" long that you weld to the deck. The bagger will fit vertically into the pipes and put a pin in the rod in front where it pokes below the pipe (through the pipe I mean) so that it will stay on good. Very quick to dump and very sturdy mount. I did this for my 6 cu. ft. heavy heavy duty side catcher. It's very heavy and this mounting works great. Will try to get you a closeup or two.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

That was before I used a pin used a nut but put a pin in and much easier. Same thing in back but no pin needed there because of the weight transfer. If it's a nice snug fit you probably won't even need a pin in front honestly.
  8. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

BHB -

I don't know you but I see your posts on here all of the time.............dude, your ship is out there waiting to dock - people posting asking for your help on equipment needs. Maybe you should stop mowing for like two weeks then channel the pent energy into developing something that could be patented. Then, you could be a sponsor on LS!
  9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the help all. I think I will try making one first cause I want to have it before clean up starts which is very soon. BHB some good ideas, got me thinking cant be that tough. My dad is a great welder, me on other hand not so good:) I'll post some pics when I get finished and let you all know how well it worked out.

Oh and longviewlawncare, no they dont offer any kind of bagger for 36" GR WD isnt that unreal!! Guess most people use a larger mower for there clean ups.
  10. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

They are the best by far and you can get one for $300 for the Danes and they are made to fit and only weigh around 19 pounds !