1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, May 11, 2002.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand...

"None of these lawns use chemicals or fertilizers, and just look how green they are! That's the advantage to hiring me - a better looking lawn that doesn't cost any more than the other guys (who will usually pour on tons of fertilizer and bill you for it because they don't know how to do it correctly, and it still doesn't look right!)"

That makes little sence if any.

Elaborate how my fellow LCOs don't know what they are doing.

sorry for picking on you, but that isn't something that you should be saying.
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

summit, i have to no clue what you're talking about, but from what it sounds like is what i go through with most of the companies in my area. funny thing is is that i can use cheap, and i mean cheap fert. and my yards look better than everyone else's. and i know what to put down and why i'm doing it unlike most of these other companies.
  3. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Check it out on his website
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I checked out the website and have never, until reading the website, heard anyone state that mulching leaves and leaving them on the ground is bad for grass. Now I can understand that it might be bad if the mulched leaves were piled 6" deep, but to state that leaf mulch is bad for your yard is just nuts. I would like to see some scientific evidence to back up that claim.:)
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That's BS if you ask me. Without chemicals, our lawns would be screwed, or at least most of them. I suppose that dandelions just go away from lawns you mow? I'll just take some magical 2-4D and put on there. Oh, guess what? The dandelions went away! How did that happen? Don't knock fertilizing or anything like that. It's not like apples or orchards where you can grow stuff without chemicals. And even if you do grow and orchard organically, the quality usually isn't as good. And believe me on that, I grow apples. I agree with Summit, don't go around saying stuff like that. It's just not a legit thing to do.
  6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Regardless of what his web site says, I don't think you should be posting his user name as a topic like this. Maybe you could have just emailed him instead?
  7. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Darryl.
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Mykster - Maybe Summit doesn't realize that BushHogBoy is only 15. Personally, I think it's great that at 15 he's not only got his own business but his own web site. I must admit that his statements on his web site are unprofessional and possibly inaccurate, but to me that's no reason for a public lynching.

I'd be careful critisizing any 15 year old who makes lawns look as good as he does with a garden tractor and homemade mowers. I think he's off to a great start!
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

OK, OK! I'll change it, now get off my back!!!!
    Lay off!
    Why are you picking on me anyhow? I will change it some, but around here not alot of people fertilize and those that do usually don't do it correctly, and usually it doesn't need done in those situations anyway. If a lawn is nice or OK when I get it, I can keep it pretty good looking or improve it a bit just by my mowing heights and techniques. Admittedly my site isn't very good yet, but I'm still working on it and it's new and not really advertised. If you mulch too many leaves, it will choke the lawn. I do mulch alittle when they first come down, just scattered, but when they come down thick you can't mulch them once a week, you have to use a catcher on them. At least around here you do. I do good work and have good prices and am 'worth my wages' so I don't think you should be kicking me for that. I know of several cases where they mulch all the leaves (and they have a ton of trees) and the lawn looks crappy because it's choked with leaves and can't get water, air, etc to the grass's roots. It WILL choke the lawn after alittle while. I have seen many lawns that were mowed too short and had the wrong fert. put on them and they do not look as good as some of my lawns that don't use anything, and are alittle higher but look alot better. I think that using the wrong mixes can even be harmful to the grass. I'm not trying to start an arguement on fertilizers, but I'm saying I don't think that you need to use all that stuff in all cases. I will change my webpage but so far I am the only one that knows about it but then I put it on my signature so that you guys can see the pics. I know I need to change it now thanks for the lynching summit!
  10. Cutting_Edge_Lawns

Cutting_Edge_Lawns LawnSite Member

I have read many of your posts, and very few would illustrate that it is a 15 year old behind the keyboard. Don't let a little constructive criticism bother you, it will only make you better, but I had to commend you for being more articulate than many people almost twice your age. You are off to a great start in business and life, so keep up whatever you are doing!!