Bushhogboy.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ksland, Feb 28, 2003.

1. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Pretty bad picture. You'd never know that the mower was green. Mine was a 91' with a 48" deck, bagger and sulkie.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

If you run a good machine like a JD, it does not have to be polished every day to produce - JD's just keep running and running and running. People that have JD's probably use them harder than most because they can handle it. They can be used and somewhat abused, and they come back for more. I do not need the prettiest machine - I need the toughest machine.

Thanks, Brad[​IMG]

jd-wb-ft. view.jpg

4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I was refering to the lemon tranny they used. Its different than all others, its not gear and its not hydro...its wet clutches similar to a dirt bike or motorcycle. And is quite expensive to fix

5. Flex-Deck

I have wet clutches in my tractors - 5000 hrs on one - no problem-1500 on another - wet clutch even engages to mower - no problem - maybe you got a lemon -(Yellow deck LOL :p )

Seriously - I do not think you can say the JD drive train is anything less than top of the line - and there are a lot of brands out there that are also top of the line - Sorry you had a problem - I think there are a lot of JD people out there that have been running for years with no problem

Did your dealer not take care of you?

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go do a search he just listed his also.

7. Cutmore

Cutmore LawnSite Member
    from S.E. WI

Really gotta disagree w/ ya on the JD's. I think they stink! I had a JD HD45. Bought it from auction(cheap) but that's only 'cause the 1 st thing it needed was a right side wheel motor. $800 ! The deck was junk. You'd get in the deep wet stuff and it'd start blowing clumps of grass long before my Exmark did.
    Now lets talk about construction. Look at the all aluminum wheel motors bolted into the frame. CHEAP! Exmark has a cast iron wheel motor bolted into its own bracket/much stronger. And the floating(pivot) deck. Ya gotta love that/not! If you should be unfortunate enough to hang a wheel over a curb a little too much they are a PITA to get back on w/o scalping. With a frame slung floating deck like alot of others have this isn't an issue at all. I do have to say the 14hp Kaw. motor was very good, and the zero flat front tires where nice but beyond that I seriously question the value of the machine.
    Dealer support in this area wasn't very good. Middle of winter they're telling me I gotta wait 2 weeks b/f I can get it in. I ended up just buying/ordering the part and putting it in myself.
    BTW this machine only had 9 hrs on it when I bought it. it came from out of state and was 3 yrs old. So, JD basically said I was S.O.L. when it came to any kind of responsiblity for a wheel motor that was junk w/ only nine hrs. I know this was actual as the deck was clean and still painted when purchased.
    I got rid of it after a season w/ 54 hrs and broke even. Mostly 'cause it was green and some other sucker liked the "nothing runs like deere" slogan.
    It got replaced w/ an Exmark Turf tracer 48" w/ 17hp Kaw. and ECS system. 100% improvement.

8. Flex-Deck

cutmore - I have no problem with eXmark either - very good machine -

36x-along road-bbq02-best.jpg

9. Cutmore

Cutmore LawnSite Member
    from S.E. WI

Can I get a flex deck for my 60" Lazer? How big/how much?

10. Flex-Deck

cutmore - you bet - $1299 - shipping included - 21" deck - Adds 18" mowing width after overlap. - You would be doing a nice round 78" swath -

You can not believe what this does on a Z

Thanks Brad