bushogging

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Bunton Guy, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this a hard task or is at easy as it looks ? just driving slowly over the brush and overgrown grass...maybe some small trees no larger than 1 inch wide

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on experience levels. Do you know how to negotiate obsticles with a tractor to keep from turning over? Also, just driving thru can cost big dollars. Cut tire, busted hog, bent blade, etc.

Oh, danger factor. Tractors and bushhogs are very dangerous. Fun yes, but dangerous. You fall off and the bushhog may run right over you. I know a guy that had that happen. He is very very lucky to be around still to tell about it.

3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Slashing is a lot harder than it looks. A lot of operators get killed
    here each year. You have to be able to "read" the ground in front of you. You have to know the centre of gravity on each tractor.
    Slashers are tough machines,but they can be very expensive to fix. Tractors fun? The novelty wers off real fast.

4. Gordon

Gordon LawnSite Member

Southside wrote "Tractors fun? The novelty wears off real fast."

Your right there southside a bundle of joy over the years turns into the same ole same ole. I've got a ton of hours with a bushhog behind my tractor. Money is good but it's boring as heck.

That slashing rig-bushhog on this side of the creek- you have Southside looks like a tough rig.

What always makes me laugh to myself is I'll ask about any ditches on the property or any trash and the usual reply is NO.
    Guess what a steelbelted radial can do to a cutter. Ruin the morning thats for sure.

But yes being able to "read" the ground is key to keeping a tractor upright and out of the hidden ditches on strange property that only gets cut once or twice a year. A ditch can sure come up on you quick. I've had a couple of real close calls over the years.

So I guess to answer the first question, no it's not what it seems. It can be very dangerous. A rock or piece of trash thrown can do some major damage as well. Chainguards on the cutter are a very good investment to keep flying debris down.

Another thing you have to keep a close eye on is the temp gauge. The drier it is the quicker you can be overheating. Sometimes I can cut for hours without cleaning the front. On other fields or this year in general it seems everything is so fallow that I'm cleaning the front end every hour to keep the tractor from running hot.

Yup easy as it looks I guess, all depends on what and where your cutting.

Gordon

5. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

brush hogging is like getting a new game. it's great to play when it is new but gets old real quick. ditto on the safety chains to keep stuff from spittin' out at you. If you have a newer tractor with a roll bar, may want to consider getting a piece of heavy plexiglass and mount it across the backside to protect you from any "missles" that the mower decides to launch your way.
    most importantly, use the gift of 'common sense' that you have.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Anything and everything can become boring. But for most of us that don't get the chance to use a tractor all day everyday they are fun. Its something different. As an added service, its not something we would be doing all the time.

I sit on a eXmark Lazer a lot of hours each week. Regardless, its still fun. I enjoy it. Its much better than working for someone else. Its much more profitable. I haven't had a job in a while. To me my business is enjoyable. Hard at times, but I enjoy it. Lifes to short to be miserable at what you do.

7. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about miserable,but it certainly gets dull. Then again
    slashing is one of those jobs where dull is good. If it gets exciting then you're usually in a world of trouble. There are times when you can have fun with a tractor/slasher,mainly if it involves destroying things. :D See the thread in commercial lawn care regarding what have you run over? I have quite a list posted there. :D

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Very True!

:D

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

After mowing with a Z, Bush-Hogging, (or "Rotary Blade Cutting" for the politically correct.):cool: ), is tedious...especially with my 48" cut .
    :(

10. Cheese burger

Cheese burger LawnSite Member

I have just about quit bidding on bush hogging jobs around here because I always get beat on price by some kid with a 25 year old ford he borrowed from his uncle. He can do just as good a job with his $1500 rig as I can do with my $35000 set up. It just makes me look overpriced

Dave