Busier then ever and NOTHING to show?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ethanslawn, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Ethanslawn

Ethanslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was reading a thread the other day about being busier then ever and not having any real profit gains. At least i hope there was cause i can not find it. Anyway I am a solo operator and everything is paid except for a couple large purchases financed of course. Lately I have noticed that the pocketbook has been a little light as compared to last year. Now i know i have lost a couple of cash accounts but is it just me or everyone I have been getting more and more checks then ever. So now I am hustling up whatever work i can (more landscaping/tree trimming/etc.). And still no real gains, am I bidding things too cheaply or is the economy really in a downturn? Any thoughts or new ideas on how to make a buck would be great.

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Payment is payment. What difference does a check make?

I'm behind a little this season financially due to the late start to the growing season.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im feeling the pain also this year. Some years are better than others, Hang in There!

4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

No difference.

Question to the OP: Out of every ten bids how many jobs do you get?

5. Ethanslawn

Ethanslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Roughly 2-3 bids but they aren't the big dollar commercial accounts. I have enough resodentals to keep me busy I wanna get into the commercial end more.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Every time I start to get ahead I go out to the mailbox and there is a bill for a few hundred or a thousand bucks. Last week the engine went out in one of my trucks. That will be 5 grand. In a truck that's not worth much more than that. Every year it seems like it takes longer for money to start accumulating in my account, but it peaks higher every year too so I guess it's all about averages.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

in in the same boat at the moment, but for different reasons. I had to buy a second exmark 30 this year because myother one had a bad transmission, and its been in the shop for 2 weeks. Meanwhile, my ZTR finally seized up, so now I have a new Lazer Z, and a new monthly payment.

Lots of unforeseen expenses so far this year. BUT...if we can get some rain in the summer, I should be able to make a good turn around in the next quarter (July, Aug, Sep)

Hoping so, because I REALLY need t start showing a little more profit.

8. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in same boat but have added 20 k of debt to my company. Making more higher payments but account is same or lower then last year. Have to spend money to make money I suppose.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Shorelandscaper

Shorelandscaper LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Ive noticed this month has been exceptionally slow...which is to be expected I guess. Families on vacation, saving for vacation, not wanting to go out in the heat...etc etc.. The best advice ive always received is: always add 15-20% profit margin, and pay cash for everything you possibly can. Im sure everyones heard it before but just my 2 cents

10. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If your business is slammed with more work than you can handle, it means your pricing is too low. If you're super busy, but not making good money, then something is wrong with the business model...