Business Card Receipts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CLoach, Dec 27, 2005.

1. CLoach

CLoach LawnSite Member

I am starting a business and was wondering what people think of this idea and if anyone already uses it. Every time I service a house I would leave a business card on the door or in the mail box that has a space on it to fill in the date and time and services preformed on the yard. That way the customer knows I've been there every week. Even if I did 2,000 cuts a year it would be less then $100 for the cards. What do you think? Too much to get one every week?

2. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just leave the receipt? and if you want, leave a card too - maybe with a "pass it along and getta free cut" or something. Whatever you do, don't leave it in the mailbox. Its against da law.

3. CLoach

CLoach LawnSite Member

so do you leave a receipt every time? i am only going to bill once a month but this is just an extra idea to let the customers know someone was there.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Good thought, but that would get old if I were the customer. Seeing that my grass was cut or bush was trimmed would be evidence enough if you were billing monthly and came every week. Save the paper and the money and tell them they'll see there paperwork once a month.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Not a bad idea for selected customers for sure! I know we all have one, or a few, that can't tell the difference between mowed and not. There is a lot of people out there that pay no attention to what their lawn looks like unless they are expecting company or they are writing a check for it. I have contemplated leaving some kind of note or sign in the yard when I mow for a couple of my older customers. I was accused of not showing a couple times and then billing for it.

Iv'e also thought about getting some of the stick in the ground yard signs, not big, but like the size CrapLawn leaves when they spray. (RND sign sells them) Have my Comapny name and number on them and just a generic phrase like "Your lawn service was here today!" Stick it close to the street (in view of passing traffic) next to the driveway. Sneaky way to advertise who's lawns you are taking care of and who's doing it! Wouldn't need to leave one every week and you could recycle them if they are left in the lawn till the next visit.

6. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I misunderstood your intent. It might be a good idea for newer customers. I had one in Nov. that didn't know I cut (I barely could myself), told them the next week and they paid.

Maybe just print something on your printer .. "just to let you know ___ provided your weekly lawn service today .." put 4-6 on a sheet. Cost about .50 for the year.

7. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

just bill monthly and then ask them to pass a card along or something

8. SouthJerseyLawns

SouthJerseyLawns LawnSite Member

I got a small door hanger from NEBS. The bottom portion has a detachable ticket that my guys keep and turn in so I know who got cut and when. The customer also has verification that you were there. It has been very successful for me and has saved me numerous billing headaches.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yes the bill states all that info.

However I have never taken the time to write in the time...

Just the date. and a few notes from time to time....