1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business Card ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Axl, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

do you guys list your services on your business cards like mulch, fert, etc. or do you just go with Comp Name, your name, phone, and something general like lawn and lanscaping, free estimates
  2. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

I have services offered on the back of the card.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I think Less is More on a Business card, as it is not an advertisement, it's more of a reference for someone you just met with. I Have " Complete Landscape Maintenance " on mine
  4. Shane Scaife

Shane Scaife LawnSite Member

I have what I offer on mine. I look at it as a little flyer. But that is just me.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I also list my services. So many times someone will call from a newspaper ad or telephone book and say "I see that you offer dethatching" or something of the like. This is the reason I thought I would add my services. Next time I need business cards, I will probably do like jccordes2 and keep the front simple and have my services listed on the back. I have also considered setting up the back as a little estimate sheet where I can give a quick estimate if I need to. I have found myself in the situation to do this often.
  6. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

J, i think you are really missing the boat on this one if you view it more as a reference material instead of an advertisement. if you're a white-collar professional, i agree. if you are a small, service-based business, you gotta market the hell out of yourself. best scenario, your business card should accomplish both.

it's one of those things where you might give someone a card that's not overly familiar with you (say a family function, business forum, or some such). it would be tacky to hand them a flyer, but a business card is a standard course. let that card be another piece of your overall marketing and advertising image. let that prospect, who may not yet realize they are a prospect, know what you do. it's amazing how many times i have someone look over my card, or call later, and say "i had no idea you guys do that."

as an example, if John Customer looks at the word "maintenance" on your card, does that conjure images of doing installations or just maintenance?

man... i'm starting to sound like good ol' jay conrad levinson. :dizzy:
  7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

wrote my post before seeing that walker weighed in similarly. walker, one of the best things i did when i designed my new card was to leave a box on the back for writing notes or quick estimates, friendly referral discount offers, etc. specifically, the back of my card has a narrow, navy blue stripe across the top and bottom of the card, with the various services in white, listed there. the center 70% of the card is a white band for notes.
  8. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

think of it this way, if you leave a opening/area on the back of the card for an estimate, most likely you didn't talk with the customer and may be missing out on being able to up sell your services, (I.E) just left a card with a price to mow the lawn??........always want to show them what there missing out on.

just a thoughy
  9. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's whats on my cards

Scary faces
    Babies made
    Babies raised
    Diapers changed
    Gladiators trained
    Wars started
    Wars fought
    Wars ended
    Cats treed
    Red Woods toppled
    Islands sunk
    Volcanoes erupted
    Big Bangs made louder
    Paint faded
    Jacks jacked
    Stump Demolition
  10. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I list mine too... mostly because I like to leave em' around where ever I can... ad boards... desktops... countertops in commercial stores... etc...

if this works...