1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business cards for flyer's?...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenClips, Feb 21, 2007.

1. GreenClips

GreenClips LawnSite Member

hey i was wondering what you guys think i have a limited budget and i was thinking that maybe i could print up some business cards that say lawn care services and go stick them in doors... i just don't think i can afford to print up 1000 flyer's but i know i can afford to do business cards...do you think this will work?...the reason i have a limited budget is because i have to buy a truck and new trailer this year and some other odds and ends and have to spend about $3500 before the year even begins...

thanks for the advice,
  2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a business card stuck in my door one day. I threw it out. But I throw out most flyers and door hangers I receive. The business card did look a little desperate, kind of fly-by-night.
  3. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

You can get free Flyer's, business Cards, postcards, and much more at vista print. I get all marketing stuff from there all you have to do is pay shipping and its not expensive shipping ether. Good deals good quality. You can also participating in their Refer-a-Friend Program. Its nice extra money that I get if anyone goes under my refer site and orders something every dollar counts right!?!?! Well good luck hope this helps. http://www.vistaprint.com/frf?frf=102057239044
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about that free flyer suggestion. Never heard of such a thing as someone taking a loss on the paper cost. Maybe they mean free layouts.

Anyhow, if you go with black and white flyers and have them done at Staples or Office Depot, they are as little as 3 cents apiece if you get at least 1001 printed. That's only like $30 for a 1000.

My business cards cost 12 cents apiece; 4 times more than my flyers.

If you leave only a business card, its going to need to be a very nice one, because its appearance will have to make up for the lack of information space.

If all you can afford is cheapo business cards, you may want to leave flyers instead of business cards.

As far as my cards go, I don't even give them out very much anymore. If someone meets me and expresses interest - like in Home Depot - I give a card. But I don't even leave a card when I get called for an estimate. I give them a card if they accept the estimate on the spot, or after I finish the job if they accept later.
  5. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Check out the site... I kid you not it is free 250 business cards free 50 flyer's free 100 postcards free. All you pay is shipping... I have ordered over 1000 business cards for free just in 250 increments.

Ohhh I forgot you can also make your own internet site threw them Very good site.
  6. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

When doing a new customer I will go pass one out on either side of the house just because its quick, have got a couple of yards like that over the years, you never know. But without a full schedule I would never think of it. You have to get your name out there to fill it up your first year. I had real good luck with a monthly ad in the local paper.
  7. Mega

Mega LawnSite Member

I have seen business cards placed in a small zip lock bag with a weight (rock,marble,etc) and tossed onto porches or the walkway up to a home. Just a idea.
  8. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

9. GreenClips

GreenClips LawnSite Member

does black and white work well enough?....does it get enough attention?...so what do you do about the logo?...because its not in color i would think it would be a real bore....
  10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Since no business can thrive by giving away items totally free, I suspected that free business cards may bring in income. My guess was shipping. I noticed that the free business card link has shipping that ranges from about $6 to $9 for just 100 cards; that's the weight of 4 sheets of card stock, which uncut would be slightly over 39 cents to mail if stuffed in a letter envelop.

Now, I called Office Depot, and their most basic business cards - for just $8 more than the $8.95 shipping of the other - provide 1000 business cards without shipping if they are in your area.

That's 10 times more business cards for $16.95

Unless you prefer 10 times less for $6 to $9 shipping.

Everything a business offers has to be paid for in some fashion.

Those shipping costs were the ones provided by the shipping instant calculator on the freebie site.