Business Cards inside Christmas Cards?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Dec 13, 2006.

?

Should I include a business card inside our Christmas Cards or not?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2006.
  1. Yes, definitely. Nothing wrong with it.

38 vote(s)
    41.3%
  2. No, that's tacky. Just keep it simple and sincere.

54 vote(s)
    58.7%
  1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hi all. Hope everyone's having a great Christmas season so far. Haven't been around Lawnsite for quite a while. So howdy to all of you LS senior members!

I am writing today to get some general opinions. I want to send out Christmas Cards to my customers. And I was thinking of including a business card inside each card for customers who we just did a one-time job for this year. My thinking is perhaps they lost my card from the job we did for them back in April and a new card would be handy for them to keep or hand off to a friend.

But I don't want to be tacky. The purpose of a Christmas card is to say, "Thanks!", not necessarily to try to ask for more business. And I don't want it to come off like, "Hi. Merry Christmas. And by the way - REMEMBER US FOR ALL YOUR LANDSCAPING NEEDS! " That could end up appearing more like a cheap marketing gimmick than a sincere Thank-You.

So what do you all think? Is it tacky to put your business card inside of a Christmas card?

One thing I did notice is that out of the 10 or so Christmas cards I've received so far from our suppliers and business we buy from, NONE of them contained a business card. So is that my hint?

2. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

We included business cards for one-time only customers and not for regular. It is a sincere thank you, but it is also a business. This is our 1st year and it seems like a good way to say thanks. (We have received a few thank you checks!!)
    Jason

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Nope ....tacky. If you thank the customer, that's fine....If you want to wish the customer happy Holidays, that's fine. But DON'T use Christmas o try to upsell more work in the future. That's about as truly tasteless as it gets.
    Now, if you want to send them a calendar for New Years, and say something like "Remember us for all your *whatever* needs", then that's a different story...But don't try that stuff for Christmas...Like I say,... that is just truly classless.

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I'm with Joe, to me that is mixing two things that are impossible to mix.

If Christmas means anything, it should be the symbol of Grace. The grace that our Lord sheds on his people in the presenting of the Christ. This Grace is an unmerrited favor to people not worthy of any affection or gift whatsoever. So if Christmas has anything to do with Christ, it should be giving from the heart as God did, without expectation of any gain. Giving to those who are not able to give in return. To make it about business is to make it about gain, and to destroy the meaning of the holiday all together.

To me all disscussions about "will I get a bigger tip if I send a card" is so much greedy crap! That is my opinion.

5. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with everyone here. The thought of the Christmas card could be diluted by adding marketing material to it. If you have a customer that is lined up for more work maybe a discount coupon. But that may be considered tacky by many.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'm telling you everyone does it for one reason, to keep their name in front of the customer. The custom printed cards do not need a business card when the company logo is imprinted everywhere.
    The big companies are all doing it, and I'm not talking about just our industry.
    I don't really care about motive. Business is business.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

This has been discussed in many threads the past couple of weeks.

shady brook -- you have it right.

Christmas cards are exchanged with those who share the same beliefs as you do about the purpose of Christmas, as shady brook outlined. If you don't embrace those beliefs, and the recipient does not embrace those beliefs, then exchange of cards is without meaning. To intend to better your business, without embracing the true meaning of Christmas is phony, superficial, beyond classless.

As I suggested in another thread, there is nothing wrong, and in fact commendable, to send something to a customer thanking them for their business. A simple "thank you" card, or a plain piece of paper will do the job. Any business intent, such as contract renewals, business cards, etc, can be included. But, to include these items as part of an exchange of Christmas joy is a futile attempt at disguising your true motive.

And, as I stated in another thread, the notion that just doing a "holiday" card will not offend anybody, is also wrong. Christmas is far beyond a holiday, is a celebration that has deep meaning to many people.

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree 100% send them a business card next season with a enticement to use your services in 2007 but save the Christmas season for the thank yous. they may remember the nice Christmas card you sent when they get the business card next spring and you will have accomplished good will that may get you considered for work

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with most here...it's tacky. Im sending out Christmas cards too. I think it's best to keep it sincere, and when you throw a business card in there...people think you're only doing it for marketing.

10. William Camp

William Camp LawnSite Member

Just sign the card they know who you are.