Business cards or flyers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by eddings, Feb 13, 2007.

1. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

I can get business cards for half the price. Would you suggest going with those or spend the money on the flyers? This is my first year to advertise, so I would appreciate any advice on the subject.

Should I target only the neiborhoods I want or advertise in all near my house? I am lucky I live an almost all residential area with lots of new homes.
  2. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

business cards just have your name and services on it. you need something that sells your product! if your going door to door, you need flyers. they will pay for themselves. go scouting for neighborhoods that are close to yards you already mow, if you target some that you have no yards around, then if you only get one call from that neighborhood then you have one yard way out of the way! And youll have to hope you get refferals fast! just my 2 cents!
  3. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

i know at, they have great may get cards and flyers there for less than you think
  4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have both.
  5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Business cards and run an ad in your local newspaper
  6. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

im not sayin dont get business cards, cuz u need those. but for door to door, flyers are the answer. leave a business card at certain places like a restaraunt with the bill, certain suppliers. hell do all you can! biz cards, flyers, and newspaper adds!
  7. Ga.GrassCutter

Ga.GrassCutter LawnSite Member

Around here Newspaper ads are running over $200 per mo. Ouch
  8. mytmower

mytmower LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I personally do not like newspaper ads or yellow pages ads. Ads like thse tend to get you to spread out. In my opinion, the best way to be productive is to spend more time mowing, and less driving. I try to continually hit the same neighborhoods with door hangers. Around here, it cost about 10 cents for each door hanger to be delivered by a reputal company. Check with nicer neighborhoods that have newsletters and try advertising in these. It is usally cheaper than a newspaper, and it make the customers think you are supporting their neighborhood.
  9. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

Use both, find as many ways to get your business name out there. Start putting out postcards or door hangers door-to-door the first week in the same houses with another batch the first week in april. Every oppurtunity you can get give someone a business card. Try leaving business cards with local resturants that they can keep at the register (provide your own holder). Take out a newspaper ad, post flyers on public bullitens around your area. Just do as much advertising as you can!
  10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah but when you land a couple weekly jobs from that ad it will have paid for itself and the rest of the customers will be profit off that $200 dollar newspaper ad. $200 is a small price to pay to gain 30 or more clients