business climate

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I am curious how things are going regionally.

It is dead here, not just lighting.

2. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

Here in N.W. Florida I think it's business as usual, but to put that in perspective with the rest of the country, it feels like we're always in a recession. Most people here HATE to spend money....this is the last strong hold of the "tightwads". So for me to compare this regionally would be tough, when everyone else comes out of this I'll still be in the same boat. But with that being said, I have been fortunate to have a few jobs (northern transplants) rolling in.

3. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Things are still relatively strong here. I have surveyed all my local vendors where I do business and they say there is no differance from previous years. Some of the home builders have gone under, but I think that was a weeding out. Every direction you drive there are houses in all phases of construction in every price range. The million and up range is selling strong but lower end homes have dropped off.

I can think of ten new housing developements that are being built as we speak. I am landscaping the entrance of one them right now. I can't say specifically if lighting has slowed down here because I don't do enough to know, but I would say that all indicators point to lighting still selling well for the time being. I normally install Christmas lighting on 20 homes and there was no change there either. The ones I lost because of moves were easily replaced with new ones. 2 Christmas light clients are serious about getting lighting once their lights are down.

I am as optimistic about lighting this winter as I have ever been. That being said, no one move here unless you want to be partners. :)

4. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Howdy, partner! (haha)

No joke, an hour or so after I began this thread I got a phone call with a consultation/demo cancellation. She asked to reschedule after January. And she was pre-qualified and booked one week ago.

I have to get steady work, and I have some things in the making, falling back on my teaching, but out of state.

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Hey venturewest, you need help? I come cheap this time of year!

6. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

[/QUOTE] That being said, no one move here unless you want to be partners. :)[/QUOTE]

Could you be a little more specific on where here is? :laugh:

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Hey im pretty close to you! Ill be a partner!

8. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Slow here, both irrigation and lighting. We went from 6 techs to 3 now. Just trying to pay the bills through the winter. There is always work come spring.

9. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Things are still steady in the landscape and architectural lighting around here. I'm not pulling my hair out busy but I haven't had to let anyone go yet. We are pulling our hair out busy in Christmas lighting right now however. We'll be busy through the end of January and I hope things start to pick up more after the changing of the guard.

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we closed 40 new Christmas light clients last year, and only had one person let us go last year out of about 100 rehangs. that was larger than usual new customers and unusually low turnover. I braced for a larger than usual turnover this year and hoped for an equal number of new customers. I have closed 25 new customers, with 2 more selling weeks in Christmas lights to go, but I have seen alot of old customers move on this year. I have not kept count, but I would say at least 10-15 customers are not hanging thier lights this year and are probably done. I have had a couple of dozen or so folks say they want landscape lighting in the spring, so I hope that pans out to at least a dozen jobs or more to jumpstart the year.

Doing bids for Christmas Lights has put me in front of a lot of folks who won't do Christmas, but are interested in landscape lighting. all my Christmas bids this year came in a nice full color folder with photo's of my landscape light jobs. we'll see if that pays off or not.