1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business expansion for 06-07 season!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by adam5557, Nov 21, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Hey guys just finished my mowing season.It was my first year and had 13 customers. Me and my friend run the business doing lawn service,cleanups,powerwashing,mulch,shrub trimming,and snow removal. We now have 10 snow plowing customers that are new. In the spring i am really hoping to advertise and am aiming for 50 accounts.Any help in gaining them would help.Here is my plan and tell me if i should do more.5000 flyers get magnetic signs for both me and my friend's truck, put flyers on bulliten boards, and also run an ad for a month in a local paper. I am very confident in what i am doing, but could you guys give me somethings to look for when expanding as i dont want to sacrifice quality for quantity.thanks
    Also my equipment
    36in metro 13hp exmark w/bagger
    21 in toro recycler
    2 redmaxx blower
    redmax stick edger
    redmax trimmer
    john deere trimmer
    Also looking for a open trailer,could you guys give me an idea on what size would be sufficient.thanks so much
  2. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

any advice guys?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

This is a very broad question. What areas are you looking for advice in?

One area I would explore is the business arrangement with your friend. Splitting a little beer money is easy- splitting $100.000.00 needs a lot of contracts drawn up to keep everyone happy. What is each of your stakes in the business? What is the buy out? Who brought what to the business and what will leave when you are no longer friends?
  4. sadavion22

sadavion22 LawnSite Member
    from ny

hey guys im really fresh out the door I don't have ANY mowers I got my advertisement plan together and I have a 1999 dodge ram my budget is around $1,300 any advice again im definitely a new guy

1st advice is to start your own thread if you have a question. What you did here is considered hijacking someones thread. You should ask a question about something in a new thread or comment on the thread at hand.
    Also try to read a lot of the old threads about what you have questions about (use the search button) and than ask specific questions.
  6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

They are a little young for beer money. I would suggest, if you wish to grow and become a professional outfit in the coming years, is to incorporate, get insurance, and to further your education in the profession.
  7. rbriggs

rbriggs LawnSite Member

Seems to be many, many young 'ens on this site.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Lose the "friend" or your partner so to speak. Later on he'll be more trouble than it's worth. Once you get 50 accounts a partner can make things alot more complicated. On top of that you will have to have twice as many accounts to make the same money = more headaches for less money

Yea, I guess I should pull down the profile before I answer.

BUT now knowing that ---Stay in school and get a degree so you can make real decisions in life. Learn business, marketing, and if this is to be you chosen field than take some horticulture.

And think about the partner thing.