1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business expenses

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pghlandscape, Mar 3, 2008.

1. pghlandscape

pghlandscape LawnSite Member
    from pgh,pa.

I am looking for a list of business expenses I have several now but i want to see if there are any that i may have over looked. The reason being I am going back to using ledger sheets to file my expenses as i cant find a program that is simple to use and i do not like quickbooks as i only use a small portion of what they offer. Here is a little background we only do 3 things retaining walls, brick pavers, and concrete, we do about 400k a year in business and i feel i am able to keep up on my business better by penciling in the expenses plus it is easy to do and im always on top of my costs. But like i first said Im just looking for any expenses i may have missed thank you
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

try a CPA...................
  3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

payroll, ins , fuel , trucks , cell phones , reg phones , advertising, shop costs , heat electric ect, sales clothing , work clothes, tools, supplies, entertainment,
  4. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

millage .49 per mile this year,ice, dump fees,tires and maint.
  5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Has anyone ever shown you their quickbooks program, and gone through the steps of setting it up, referencing information that you were looking for. Using ledger sheets would be about like plowing with a mule, raising the wheat, crushing the wheat and making your own bread. instead of buying a loaf at the store.

You can get it for $100 at costco.com if you hurry.
  7. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

Sounds too complicated. Why buy a full loaf of bread, when you just need two slices to make a sandwich?? Make much more sense to plow with a donkey instead of a mule, raise only 1/4 of a field of wheat, crush the smaller amount of wheat, and then make a really small loaf of bread that only yeilds two slices.

Why overcomplicate things?
  8. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Once you get the hang of some type of software, you will save yourself a lot of time rather than a general ledger and pencil.
  9. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I agree- get the hang of quick books. It has so many useful reports and tools. Accountants can help you set up the "list of accounts" and by doing so will ask you questions to determine what business expenses you can include- then they will all be listed. The features you use will simplify your life and the ones you don't will never bother you. Good luck-
    Even if you don't do QB, talk to an accountant to get PRE-TAX YEAR PLANNING!! He'll help you keep the money you make instead of giving it to Hillary's new healthcare program, oh, wait, we're all going to get screwed (and not in a good way) with that....
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

rmmllc - we will not be seeing hillary setting policy any time soon...