1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business for Sale

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by nwimaintenance, Jan 4, 2012.

1. nwimaintenance

nwimaintenance LawnSite Member
    from 46307

I have been tossing around the idea of selling my business.
    Equipment Included
    2005 Dixie Chopper 33hp 72" deck
    2005 Dixie Chopper 50hp turbo diesel 72" deck
    2001 Dixie Chopper 40hp(twin 20hp) 72" deck
    2001 Toro z-Master 25hp fuel injected 72" deck
    2001 Ferris 36" walk behind
    1999 Scag 52" hydro walk behind
    3 Echo backpack blowers
    5 Echo Trimmers
    1 Stihl edger
    3 Echo hedge trimmer
    1 Echo split boom with attachments
    30 gallon round up sprayer
    30 gallon liquid fertilizer with boom
    2 3 gallon back pack sprayers
    150# pull behind spreader
    75# push spreader
    2005 16' enclosed trailer
    2004 22' open trailer
    2001 Chevy 2500HD crew cab turbo diesel 2010 Western wide out 2011 Western slide in bed spreader
    2001 GMC 1500 ext. cab 2006 Blizzard 7'6" speed wing
    1999 Chevy 2500HD ext cab 2006 Blizzard 8-10 power plow 2008 Western Tornado slide in bed spreader
    1997 GMC 3500 dump truck turbo diesel 8.5' western pro plow
    24" Cub Cadet snow blower
    42" John deer snow blower

Now for the contracts: About 90% commercial 10% residential
    2011 mowing season: About $125,000
    2010-2011 plow season: About $115,000

What do you think it is worth?
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

they made a fiftey horsepower diesel chopper? wow
  3. nwimaintenance

from 46307

yes only for a few years they made the 35hp dixie with a turbo on it. which made it a 50hp
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd figure about $57,500 for equipment depending on condition. I think you would be lucky to get more then 40% of the contracts amount so I'd say $96,000 for them.
  5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Where are you located?
  6. nwimaintenance

from 46307

i am located in NW Indiana
  7. nwimaintenance

from 46307

Also anyone from florida what do you think about opening up now. I realize economy is bad down there but there seems to be a lot of work in this industry.
  8. nwimaintenance

from 46307

Any Input on this would be great.
  9. Thomas Lawn Care

Thomas Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Well I was born and raised FL and in business in Melbourne FL for 8 years. I serviced 40 miles radious in either direction. My area had some real dirt bag- lowballers mowing residential for 10 bucks a yard. Lots of hand written signs on ever light poll for 10.00 a yard. While it didn't really affect me because I was 95% commercial it did in general as a whole for the industry in my area and other surrounding parts. My own neighbor used a guy for 7.00 bucks for a mow blow and go deal. Hell... I even used the same guy for my own yard lol. Guess I'm to blame as well :laugh:

I was on a local residential street servicing a few homes I had next to each other years back. Cutting grass across the street was a guy maybe in his mid 20's pushing a old run down non mulching mower in flip flops and some daisy duke short shorts. Guys was a sight for sore eyes and pulled his little red wagon with a girl's 10 speed bike in tow. Dam guy had more work on that street then I did! Guess he was just a better salesman then me :dizzy:

Now dont judge FL by what I say or seen etc... There is plenty of good stable money to be made there and people willing to pay for a professional job. Not everyone in FL is broke or out of work but the State does have its draw backs.

Now Cutting and working in 98-105 degree humid weather will kick your butt fast. I tried to get most everything done by 1pm. Its a different animal all together there. Plants, shrubs trees etc.. all different then most parts of the coutry. So learning everything all over will be something to consider.

Season's run a bit longer and most save up to make it through winter. Thats a main reason why I left and moved north. So I could plow snow in off season and keep on banking!!!!

Sure there are plenty of home grown Floridians on here doing just fine or better. And sure there are some who wished they could GTFO of there like I did business wise. I still have a home in FL and enjoy every chance I get to go back but I dont miss it enough to go back and run a lawn or landscape business again.

One day I hope to retire and buy a fishing/charter boat in the Keys and just relax:drinkup:
  10. nwimaintenance

from 46307

Thanks for the input. I guess i am trying to get away from the snowplowing. Been doing it for 15 years and sick and tired of devoting my life to snow. You cant plan anything(vacations/etc.) in the winter.