Business for those under 18....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by advantage landscaping, Nov 16, 2007.

1. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

To the glee of most of you (stopping low-balling!!!).... Next year I am going to try to go legit as a 17 year old. I know my first step is a biz license... and then insurance.... and they the correct tax/bank accounts. I do not need a MA state biz license, but I do need a local one.

My question is will my age (not 18 until next October) matter with all of these legal things, like licensing and insurance? Do I need to put all of my biz stuff under an 18+ adult, or can I do it as a 17 year old? I know it will mess up my parent's taxes, which is why I would like to have my own things in my name, if possible.

Thanks!

2. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I got legit at the beginning of this year at 16.

Bank account: You have to run your business through your personal bank account. I tried to get a business bank account and the bank guy went off talking about the patriot act and other good stuff.

In MD i was able to get the business in my name no problem just took around 3 months for the paperwork to get through. You will get a tax id or something like that in the mail

Insurance: As far as i know you have to get your Mom/Dad to sign as well as you since your not 18 yet.
    PM me if you have any more Q's

3. advantage landscaping

Hmm I will check that out. Anybody else with info?

4. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 16 and set everything up by lunchtime one day, license, bank account, taxes and all. I don't see how they won't let you open a business account. If they will honestly not let you, open a completely different account at another bank to keep everything seperate.

5. advantage landscaping

I hope it's that easy...

6. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

congrats..

7. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah man, its not hard. Just act and think like an adult and they'll treat you like one.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

only thing, you cant sigh a contract till your 18.... but you will be fine

9. slammerjax

slammerjax LawnSite Member

Hey Dave...

Where did you go to Boot Camp...PI or SD

10. Krehling's Prop. Maint.

Krehling's Prop. Maint. LawnSite Member

This is untrue. I run a very professional operation and I have been hassled more times over the dumbest things between banks and insurance companies in the last four years. My first year of business I went through twelve different companies that wouldn't give me insurance because i wasn't 18. I ended up having it set up as a partnership with my dad so that I could get my equipment insured for theft and to get liability coverage. Then 3 weeks later they audited me. Then this summer I had issues with my bank, they stopped letting me deposit checks made out to my business into my personal account, which is complete bs considering as a sole proprietor you and your business are one entity, so I had to go to several different banks before I could get one that would set up a dba account in my name with my ss#, and even then I had to pull quite a few strings. You can't truly run a business without your parents until you are 18 there is no way around it. Long story short, next September my life will be 10x easier.