Business good for a bad economy state

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by bigbrave, May 19, 2011.

1. bigbrave

bigbrave LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering with the economy so bad down in FL, is the lawn care business good?

2. Terrible man, I'm cutting yards for $10
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

10 others will do it for $9. That's what it's like in Florida.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I am doing quite a few for the same price I was getting for similar stuff in the late 90s. Sounds bad until you realize people are out there cutting for mid-1980's prices. That ain't no joke. I see people willing to cut yards for $10-15 or $50-60 a month if they are year round. My first ever year-round customer was $60 a month in 1986. I actually still have that yard and get $135 a month for it now. I'm sure if she wanted to, she could find someone within a day who would do it for $60.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BigBrave

Our new Governor (Rick Scott) has promised to make Florida a small business friendly state and he has. Yep He has regulated the Hell out of us and increased the cost of trying to be 100 % legal. Of course those who don't have business licenses can get away with murder. The state is so busy regulating the honest guys they don't have time to go after the illegal Fly by nights.

I didn't realize when I voted for him, he was talking about being friendly to small illegal business.

BTW There are actually more Grass cutter than Grass to be cut. Every out of work fool is a grass cutter with 400 years experience.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

What is with Florida and all of the police state types running around there? I have never trusted anyone promising to be business friendly. They usually mean corporate friendly and or illegal friendly. I was following the fertilizer bill thread. Will the granola eater realize their mistake after they find massive amounts of soil eroding into the water ways? Soil runoff is the largest source of phosphate pollution. Unless actual fertilizer granules are being washed into water ways, the largest source is soil. There are some things Hawaii got right. Soil runoff is strictly regulated. The legislature did not go after fertilizers. In fact, the current regulations call for exposed soil to be covered with................grass.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Green

Retirement and growth were so much a part of Florida's economy that without it the tax base is lost. Impact fees were the taxes, now it is Fines. Enforcement is way up as are fines. A local small town near me has such a bad reputation many people refuse to go there in fear of a ticket. But Government has always made Small Business people lairs and cheats. If most didn't scarf off some unreported income etc etc they would go under.

I decided to grow my business so I can Hire some young blood to do the heavier treatments for me. I am Spending some money on several forms of Advertisement. So far all my current growth is from networking and not a call from any advertisement. But then There is so many advertising that mine gets lost in the shuffle.

8. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

Rick Scott is making enemies everywhere, i will be shocked if he ends up finishing out his term. I still can't believe he got elected.

9. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to do everything besides mow and blow. They want shrubs trimmed, weed control and dont want to pay anything. Good thing I have the customer I have. Starting a lawn sevice these days will be tough. Alot of hacks out trying to get work. What else to they got to do. Unempolyment is high

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BCL

Why isn't Rick Scott in Jail is the question. He stole millions from Medicare and got caught. His campaign for governor even admitted his company was stealing. I guess the public wanted an honest crook who admits he steals.