Business Growth

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DAVELAWN, Mar 13, 2005.

1. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

I seem stuck at around 65-70 accounts for the last 2 years. I just can't seem to get over the 75 and up hump. Every year on renewal time I lose 2-4 people.....So then the following year I have to pick up 2-4 to make up for the ones I lost....which isn't too bad, however I can't seem to get over the hump. I have put an add in the yellow pages this year, advertise in 2 papers regularly and do fliers every late March/beg April. I haven't had much luck with commercial properties either. While I do well, and can keep 2 guys plus myself pretty busy, I believe I can do better. Any thoughts? Or is this a survival of the fittest business....meaning more market share as you are in business longest because people go in and out of business all the time. What do u think?

2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I feel like I am in the same boat with my lawn accounts. I have been around the same number of accounts for a few years, I lose a few due to death or moving and then I pick up a few to replace them. I spend a few thousand a year on ads YP,fliers,postcards, and i can only pick up a few lawns here and there. I really would like to pick up enough work for another mowing crew, but it has been tough.

On the other hand my landscape work has really taken off. I am now keeping myself and 2-3 guys busy all summer with brick work, and plantings.

3. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

Well looks like we are in the same boat. I have just begun doing walkways myself, hopefully another add on for me.

4. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

All i can say is that advertise and advertise from within also. We send letters to customers offering refferal credits. Last year we sold $11,540 in refferal work. This year we are already at $7,823. Total cost for refferal credits last year $450.

Jason

5. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

Hi Lawns r us do you have an example letter you could post email to : infusion@paradise.net.nz sounds great idea cheers

6. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I will try to find it i thought it was on this computer. I know it was on my laptop but i erased everything. I will have to look on my other comp. It went a little like this.

Dear customer,

For the past refferals we have recieved we are thank you but we thought it was only fair to return the favor with a referal credit. For every customer you refer us that signs up for maint. we will credit your account $50. For landscape jobs it could even be more. Etc.........

Respectfully, Jason

Lawns R Us, Inc.

7. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

Thats a good idea....you could even do restaurant gift certificates etc....

8. SCW

SCW LawnSite Member

"Mine your customers"...include newsletters with monthly billing. Continually try to upsell existing customers and get referrals from them. Be sure to carefully track your advertising results...if the Yellow Page ads don't work for you - get a small 1-liner and use those advertising $$ towards something different - direct mail perhaps. Also "clover-leaf"---you should always have door hangers or fliers in your truck and routinely put them on the neighbor on either side of an existing customer as well as the 3 across the street---thus "clover-leafing." Great way to pick up new customers that are on the same street. The door hanger should say something to the effect of "Today, we serviced your neighbor's lawn...and we would like to service your property" along with your usual advertising text.