Business improvement strategies - Property Trading!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ed Ryder, May 20, 2008.

1. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Guys... Let me introduce the concept of property trading: we can trade properties among ourselves to create better, tighter routes which will boost productivity and save on truck wear and tear and especially cut down on fuel costs.

I returned to grass cutting out of desperation in 2001 after being wiped out with a few bad stock investing decisions. Rapidly I acquired new customers and developed "clusters" or core areas of customers. Out of laziness, and also with the attitude that I was just a short period away from leaving the grass business for greener pastures, I kept things as they were with reasonable price increases year after year.

Now, with the era of cheap gasoline probably gone forever, it's time to think more about efficient operations.

The cluster strategy is not appropriate anymore. I could have used each cluster as the launchpad for area domination in an expanding mowing business. But I prefer to remain a solo operator.

My new thinking is that I want to have all of my properties within a mile or so of my home - three miles max. There are so many advantages to having a tight route.

First of all, my savings would range from $1500 to $2500 per season in fuel costs for the truck.

Secondly, a lot of commuting time would be eliminated, allowing for a more efficient workday.

And less wear and tear on the truck also results in savings.

So, as the lawns begin to slow down under the hot summer sun, I think I will begin making my move to pick-off local properties.

Before I begin, perhaps there are grass cutters here who might be interested in trading properties.

I need Middletown Township, Delaware County properties (Pennsylvania). I have very nice affluent clusters in Concord Township, East Goshen Township and another in the Newtown Square area that is not quite as tight.

Anyone have a group of Middletown properties they are willing to trade for Concord or East Goshen properties?

My customers are very good, long-time, loyal customers who would be likely to stick with a high quality operator.

I'm looking for properties of a certain quality.

Property trading! It's one way to fight the rising cost of gasoline.

2. FPL

FPL LawnSite Member

sounds like a great plan....in an ideal world.....unfortunately you do realize this will never work