business in the fall 2007?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Since the begining of august, my business inquirys have gone down sharply... Ive done very little landscape type work and only lawns... Usually even last year i have several jobs im fitting into schedule.. Anyone else seem to have less business this year than say last year in NJ areas? or any area local for that matter? Ive advertised heavily over this summer too and it seems to just generate lots of little $60 crap jobs people want stuff trimmed and its not worth my time.

2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Yeah buss was down in the beginning of August for alot of poeple. We got active and handed out flyers and landed a 18,500 paver job off of one of the flyers. We have been on that job for two weeks and other work has poured in. We are booked till mid Oct now. I was sweatin hard for a while but now its all good. You will pick up soon.

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

well good for ya! Im just hoping for a better amount of leaf cleanups in the fall. for what ever reason not much landscape jobs or hardscaping now. Im a small company 2-3 guys so i dont need 20k a month in work, but when i have 2-3 days per week that im not busy on other peoples lots... i get a little agitated :p

Ive been working on my own houses paver walkway from the front sideway around the side which is ~50ft and around the back which is another 20ft and into a 20x20ft patio under a big walnut tree and enclosing it with some landscape...

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

It's all over, and not just in the landscape industry either. Over all we are down on installation and construction this season compared to last. Maintenance is booming on the other hand and we have added about 25% compared to last season. It's all the economy, and honestly feel it's just gonna get worse IMO.

5. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I think with the housing market the way it is most people arent as quick to put money in thier houses. I just got real lucky with the job I got off the flyer, if I didnt get that my hardscape crew wouldve been down for two weeks.

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

All I can say is network and word of mouth. Advertise at home shows for a better turn around. Personally, I don't really advertise.

April-July was strong. August looked like crap but finished it stronger then the previous months and I'm booked to November with installations.

I've got a big installation that has been pushed back two weeks due to a stupid pool guy and I've got an empty week to fill. Then today I get three phone calls and I've got one project on hold pending an HOA that should fill the slot for me. All in all, I can't complain too much.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

The economy is just fine. Housing markets have slowed down only because they have caught up to demand. Look at the stock market, it is way up from even before Sept 11.

What I am seeing a lot more of is this. People often buy a home, get bored or don't like the neighbors and they buy another + make money. Well now that demand for new housing isn't as high they may very well lose money by moving. So instead they take their boredum and remodel or install a landscape to hide the annoying neighbor. Plenty of work is out there. Rural areas, well thats nothing new and the same old story. Want money? You've got to go to it.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

this is what we are seeing..

renovation work is booming.

9. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

both this year and last I've seen the same trend, and heard so from other landscapers in the area, business slows down in Sugust and September. I remember last year we had a big job from mid summer that was pulling us through until Fall. But this year, no such luck. I've been advertising, but nothing major has come in yet.

Here's hoping...

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

My numbers are up huge from last year and next year looks incredible.

Middle class may be hurting but not the upper. Richie rich still has his money. The market for small jobs is basicly dead.

This is why its always important to network, network, network.

What i have noticed, i get a drastic # of less phone calls then previous time. But the thing is, all the calls i am getting are for serious prospects. I have not dealt with any tire kickers in months.