Business Insurance still going up!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Blades of Steel, Dec 23, 2003.

1. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

It all depends on what services you're providing, employees, if you sub out work, how long in biz, How much biz you're doing, how much business property you need insured, etc.

If you breathe the words "tree work" in your description of services, you'll pay more for liability ins....many times LOTS more.

If you're a small solo operator only doing lawn maintenance, I've seen plenty of posters saying they pay under $500 a year for 1 mil. of liability insurance.

Find an independant dealer offering insurance through Erie(or another good carrier). I think people are doing themselves a huge disservice if they aren't shopping for better insurance rates on a periodic basis...esp. considering the huge costs. Everytime I make an insurance payment, I feel like I'm getting cheated.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

Solo operator here and mine went up 28 % for next year and have never filed a claim . My uncle is my insurance agent ( state farm ) and he told me that company punches in your zip code and thats how they come up with premiums and increases so i guess if everyone but you had a claim in your neck of the woods you would have to pay thru the nose also
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have Zurich also. I priced many different ones back in March and Zurich came out very good. I have a $2 mil policy that cost $1300 and includes the inland marine for the equipment.
  4. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

What is the inland marine coverage?

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Inland Marine is the name of the attachment for equipment coverage.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, thats extra. But at least that is low (like 3.39 per 100). I'm classified under lawn maintenance (not landscaping) which is more like 10 or 12 per 100.

BTW, my 3K insurance premium (including my inland marine coverage) is for the business only. My trucks and trailers are another item...ouch:mad:
  7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope, thats extra. But at least that is low (like 3.39 per 100). I'm classified under lawn maintenance (not landscaping) which is more like 10 or 12 per 100.

Thank you so much for that tip rodfather the comp was way more then I could stomach last year I had much higher quotes then 10-12 per 100 too one guy had the balls to ask for 25% ie 25 of 100 as result I cut my labor to next to nothing and learned to work 80 hour weeks with 14 hour cutting days hhehehehe with my partner
  8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I checked into hortica last year and ran into a problem. They won't even concider you unless you can show a gross revenue of $250,000/yr. I don't think he's going to be able to use them for a year or two.:nono:
  9. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Check out Accuity
  10. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

I'm paying Hortica over $60,000 yr. between liability and w/comp.
    It's a good company though...