business is booming for me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, May 8, 2001.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

in april i've did more in sales than 3 months combined from last year. which is big for me, half of which is that i'm finally graduating high school and get to leave half way through the day and no more sports. but even this month and half of next i have 8 different landscaping jobs lined up for every saturday and sunday. (4 weekends with 8 days) i'm actually on pace to break what i did in sales my first 4 years of business combined. also lining up the aerating & thatching jobs for in the fall.

i hope you guys are doing as good as me or better.:)

2. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

How can you graduate from High School and not know the degree of a slope? Not really Joshua. Not going to let you live it down just yet.LOL.
    Sounds like your work is picking up rather nicely. Are you still flying solo? You keep adding landscape projects and you might have to hire on some help. I have many landscape jobs lined up myself. I like to mow, but I wish I could go Landscaping only. Have you got involved with sprinklers yet?
    Good luck on your business, and congratulations on graduating.

3. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

It is good that you are busy, but just make sure that you are making money. Just remember, increased sales does not always mean more money in your pocket.

4. yeah, i graduated high school last june. those last couple months of school were real heck. gettin up at 6 for school, not gettin home from work until 10:30 at night. bad year for me too. learned a lot though. i got a lot of work this year though. today i was asked to bid on aeration for a whole townhouse complex, and i also got a landclearing job. 30 acres @2500 an acre minimum. so i should be lookin at at least $75,000 for the job. workin less hours now, but i also have good help. get good help. take it easy, that way you arent burnt out at 20. good luck.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

right now i'm still cutting solo, but knocking out 10 lawns a day, average size is about 25,000sq ft. average cut is about $27 give a dollar either way.

about sales my last landscaping job i made $500 after paying all my guys (3 besides me) and all the mulch, ect... 11 hours of work, comes out about $45 a hour or in their.

the other night just me and my 1 helper knocker out 2 yards of topsoil in 2 hours, included seeding and straw. 2 areas 16x16 and 20x20. seed was less than $20, straw was $6, 2 yards of soil was $40, 1 hour of pay $10..... total sales $200

6. 10 dollars in labor? that must be nice. when my guys work with me, if they work more than 5 hrs they get 100 dollars. if they work less than that then i try to cut a deal with them. but if you can get away with that then that is great. oh and dont forget gas, insurance, food, and any other costs you may have.

7. Hey Joshua!

Great news. Hope you can keep pace. As far as profitablity, I always apply some words of advice a smart money man once said, "Its not how much you make that counts, its how much you keep".

Have a good season! Looks like "the recession" aint in your neck of the woods.

P.S. I just finished weedwacking my only 60 degree slope St. Augustine hillside! With the owners permission I'll get some pics next time. Almost slipped and went for a ride!

Aloha, P.Y.S.

8. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

Lawnboy82, what is on the land that you are clearing off?
    Do you have the equipment to do the job or will you have to rent?

9. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

yeah grassboy, i would like to know about that too!