1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business is slow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardboyltd, Jul 31, 2003.

1. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about you guys, but it dried up here real fast with a couple of weeks of 100+ weather and trace amounts of rain. I'm going longer than 14 days on alot of yards, and they look like they could even wait a few days. I'm praying that I can get at least just 4 more mowings out of all my accounts so I can pay off my car before winter gets here. Any ideas for supplemental income on hot periods and slow growth?

Hows it going for e veryone else?
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Get out there and sell Xeriscape!!!!!.........:D
  3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Try expanding into landscaping. My area is also very dry, but a couple of landscaping jobs have been helping a lot.
  4. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

dry here too. if it wasn't for our golf course work i'd be laying folks off.

contact some realtors see if they might have some properties needing cleaned up (inside & out) you can operate a paint brush right?
  5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Sprinkler Sys. Installs!!!!!!
  6. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Place a add in the newspaper for shrub trimming. Now is a good time to for you to make some extra cash trimming those overgrown shrubs. This never fails to bring in work.
  7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

this is a good time of the year to go after new business for next year. On my slow days i will send the crew out alone and start building good relations with property and facilty managers. In my dealings with property managers and just customers in general its always best to have a very good relationships with them. just drop by and BS for a while or take them out to lunch. I do it on a regular basis with my current clients, it improves customer loyalty and also makes them give you the best referances money can buy.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Really? How many installs have you done? Is this something any Tom, D ick, or Harry should jump right into once it begins to dry up?
    I know if I was having an expensive irrigation system put in, I'd want to be hiring an experienced company with some working years under their belt.

I agree with lawnworker. Try to get some hedge/shrub trimming work. A lot of people need this type of work since many don't practice yearly maintenance.