Business is taking off, but not in the direction as expected..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BadRancher, Jun 9, 2009.

1. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

This is my first season and my business is taking off in a different direction than expected. Instead of getting alot of accounts, I'm getting alot of cleanups. Probably more than the average bear. I really wanted to stick to mowing and do cleanups also. I changed my cards and flyers to Spring and Fall Cleanups and Extreme Lawn Cleanups. and things have really taken off. I'm not complaining by any means, because the money is great and the added bonus of the weight loss is great too. I have semi-entertained the idea of marketing more toward "Lawn Revitalization" than mowing, because I can get a good bit of money as a part timer and not near the travel. However there is alot more wear on my handhelds, but that is cheaper and more cost effective than wear on my mowers.... Even when mowing in tall grass vs. 10-15 Res. accounts per day.

When you guys started off, did you start off this way? Is this just a part of growing? Chime in tell me your stories and what would you "honestly" do if this were your situation. Thanks.

2. GreenAcresLandscaping

GreenAcresLandscaping LawnSite Member

The same thing kind of happened to me except with mulch jobs. Last year mowing and mulch were 50/50 but this year i advertised more and went all out. In the spring i was getting mulch calls 5/1 to mowing. Wich was fine because i was able to add a second crew of 2 guys. We only do the mulching on weekends because i have friends help me and we all have school during the week. Now though those same customers have called me since and want me to mow while they are away. I have only done 4 vacation mows so far this year but have about a dozen more scheduled for this summer. Now 1 of those vacation mows has turned into full time because he said "you do a way better job than me and its a lot easier for me to pay you than for me to take the time out of my weekend to do it"

3. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

thats never happened to me... but hey if its makin you money... THEN DO IT!

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I would think or at least hope the clean ups your doing by far out weigh the profit you would make mowing say, 10 lawns a day. What I mean is one clean up...$500.00 and average time of 3-4 hrs. and 10 lawns at an average of 30 bucks a pop=$300 bucks but average time to do 10 lawns with 2 guys 6hrs (average 1/2 acre lawns). Ride the gravy train as long as you can.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this is too werid, we just finished a clean up, " not too many this year " we have decited that were NOT doing them anymore. we have made the business decission that it's too hard, the money is NOT great.

were bringing in 6 to 7 hundred a day from grass cutting.

6. BlackDog3

BlackDog3 LawnSite Member

Kinda happened that way for me too. I only had 10 lawn service last year... i picked up 13 more which i can now cut 17 in one day! Just get your name out there it will come! Rock on brother!

Chris

7. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Honesty most calls I get are for cleanups, but since all my regular mows have cleanups, and cleanups take much longer than mows, I can barely get to all the cleanups of my regular mows let alone some one off cleanup. In my experiance these people don't care about their lawn anyway, wait till the grass has been growing a month to call for a spring cleanup and that includes all the mess from the last fall which they decided to bundle with the spring cleanup.

8. Jescolandscaping

Jescolandscaping LawnSite Member

i could never get away with a $500 clean up charge around here. mind you...i live in peachtree city, ga, one of the wealthiest towns in the great U.S. but a bordering county, Clayton, is home of one of the most gang infested areas in the nation. new guys pop up everyday around here and its starting to get cut throat! tell me your secret on charging $500 and having them do business with you again? please!

9. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a call for yet another one. Wow
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Thats because your running a crew bohiaa. Things are different when its just you and/or a helper.