Business License

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HLS, Apr 15, 2005.

1. HLS

HLS LawnSite Member

I have been cutting lawns part-time for a handful friends and neighbors for a quite some time now, and enjoying every minute of it, especially the extra $cash! Recently I was approached and asked if I would like to have two pretty decent contracts cutting the common ground areas in the surrounding neighborhoods. They are worth over $5K a piece, and very doable. So of course I said yes. But I had to OFFICIALLY start the business first. So I formed an LLC, got an insurance quote (I think $700 is a little high, but I can live with it), and got my Employee ID Number. Question: Do I have to get a license too? Do you need a license to cut grass commercially? If so, how do you get one in the state of Maryland?

Cheers!
    -HLS

2. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

HLS: No you dont need a license to cut grass in maryland. As long as what your doing is a service no license is required. If you do any digging, you do need a license. Any kind of constructions, renovations, installation of irrigations, any thing like that yes. But if all your doing is mowing, no.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. HLS

HLS LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. Much appreciated. HLS

5. CuttingEdgeLawnService-SL

CuttingEdgeLawnService-SL LawnSite Member

no ya don't have to have a liscense PERIOD! i don't and i am doing great!!!!!!!

6. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Check to see if your suppost to charge sales tax.

Also call your city appraisel office and see if your going to have to pay property taxes on your business.