Business license

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patfo, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

I called my chamber of commerce today regarding how to get a business license who referred me to the city hall. If I understood her correctly she said I did not need a license within the city limits unless I was going door to door (sales I assumed). Anyone else encounter this where they live? I've already printed up flyers stating "licensed and insured". Thanks for any feedback!

2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Regards "business license" requirements.
    In some locations when you apply for the business license you will also get an automatic increase in your sanitation fees (and possible other taxes and fees),if they are collected by the local government. They can double or triple the normal residential rate. Doesn't matter that you may not generate any more refuse. They don't care. Been through this and just don't believe getting the license is worth it.
    The IRS doesn't require it and the license doesn't help cut grass. Just creates more paperwork and cost money.
    Just my .02...
    Cleve.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Not having one in the city limits sounds a little odd! Not needing one outside the city limits makes more sense. If you don.t get one and get caught by the people that are paid to check folks out the fine will be higher than the license would have been. Having a license just makes you legit.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You do not need one where I live either. I called the county courthouse and they told me to call my village and see if they require one and they do not. I took the ladies name and wrote it down in case I ever had a problem. I asked her how long she worked there and it was like 10 years, hopefully she knows the laws! :)

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If you call the county courthouse they WILL tell you that you dont need one. The county usually does not require you to have one but the city themselves do.

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My understanding is that if you live (business address) reside in a county which does not require one, you do not need one. If your address is out of the city limits you are ok. Not to be confused with any pesticide/herbicide licensing.

7. As far as California goes, any business is supposed to be liscense on the local level, whether it be county or city level. If you ever get a chance to do contract work for a govement agency, they are suppose to double check if you are appropiatly liscense at all levels.

Why pay the Business liscence fee?

1. You follow the rules that, we, as citizen of our communites said that this is a way that we were going to pay for public services.

2. It's a way to learn of new regulations that are to be implemented. Ingorance of the law is not an excuse.

3. If you get a business liscense, more than likely you have the proper insurance. This can be a selling point to your potential clients.

8. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I was told no business license was needed in Maryland too.

9. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to ask a question...Since we in our county and city do not require a license for business in providing lawn maintenance, what actual does licenses say for those who need them? What I am getting at is that within our state we have licenses based on operations that we are doing. So irrigation would need a license; landscape architecture needs a license; and of course the tax, pesticide and floral registration and permits. So those who have a business license do they actually read that So and So lawn care is leaglly able to conduct buisness in Springfield?

10. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Most important is your state business license. Then city if required . Here in WA. we need a city license for each city we work plus state master license.