business license

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wemolow, Oct 27, 2002.

1. wemolow

wemolow LawnSite Member

I started mowing lawns to pick up extra cash now and then and through referrals I have gotten more yards. So I decided to upgrade my equipment some and have now decided to go into business. I have read on your message boards that I will need a cpa and insurance but I need to know if I also need to apply for a business license. I live in the Atlanta area.

By the way, I think this is a great site!

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If I remember correctly, you needed a home improvement contractors license in Connecticut if you were doing LANDSCAPING, but NOT if you were doing just Maintenance.

Not sure, but I know all the areas are different. I'll try to find you a link for your laws in Georgia, but if not, start asking questions when you get your tax id # and they should head you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

3. Guido

The info you want is in there somewhere, either under the business section, or the little link that says agencies and departments.

I couldn't get a few pages to load, but I think its the ancient phone lines here in Germany!

Hope this helps!

4. wemolow

wemolow LawnSite Member

That was valuable information, Guido. Thank you very much. It probably should have been obvious to me, but I just trying not to make any major mistakes.

5. Guido

Now you know! I'm glad to help anyone that wants to get into this business in the right manner (the legal, insured way!)

Anytime Partner!

6. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I just started my Lawncare business within the past 3 months. I live in Augusta, Georgia. I went to the local county business office and applied for the license. The clerk indicated that I did not need a contractors license for lawncare. I had to wait until the county board of commission had thier meeting to vote on the approval of my license. It passed with no problem. I received my license the next day. Good luck.

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Certain towns also require business licenses. I'd say 25% of the lco's in my town have this license. The town doesn't enforce it like they should. I just like to have it because it sounds good when you are trying to land a new acct and trying to seperate yourself from the scrubs. "I'm licensed and insured" Potential customers feel more assured when they hear this.

8. In the grass cutting business the only way to go is to comply with all laws. Where I am at the requirement is a $20 per year license which is issued on the spot at the court house. There is no requirement for insurance or a federal I.E. or Tax number for a sole owner. As a sole owner worker comp is not only not required but against the law to have. A cpa is not required by law as well. My sole expense to be in the business as far as license and cpa and insurance is $20 per year.

9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Chopique, are you sure of that??? Im almost positive you are not correct. You may want to look into the laws regarding this alittle harder.

10. I am very sure of that. My idea was to get workers comp and "get hurt on the Job" It did not fly with the State. They told me If the owner of the business could get workers comp the system would go down the tubs. Now come on. If a owner of a business could get workers comp ins. anybody without a job and no prospects would start a business take workers comp on himself and "get hurt on the job" the very next day. Probably a "back injury". A very good retirement program, if I must say so myself.