1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

business license

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cturner, Mar 7, 2003.

1. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

can anyone tell me were i have to go to get my business license in michigan

thank u
  2. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

This may help you.

I'm in PA and I mainly do home improvement work. I needed the business license to be able to purchase from certain vendors. (PA does not license builders or home improvement contractors!!) This required a bus. name. To get the name I had to apply and that required a bus. address (not a PO box). That required a varience to run a home based business. All told $300 and I have it. (And the scope of work is vague!!)

It amazes me that insurance co's don't require it prior to issuing liabilty ins.

3. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

well thank u much joe i'll check it out:D
  4. michigangrass

michigangrass LawnSite Member

Hi Chris

I've just relocated to Michigan and currently in the process of getting everything geared up for the 2003 season.

I've been to Lansing to register my business name and at the time asked about a business license. They stated that Lawn Care in the state of MI is not required to have a business license. They did tell me that the only time you actually need a license is if you are a "Landscape Architect". You do need certifications for pesticide application, etc.
    Seems a little strange seeing how most every lawn care company in michigan claims to be licensed.

If you do find out anything, please let me know michigangrass@netscape.net
  5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your city or town. They may require a business license.
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

THey are probably stating that they are liscensed to apply fert and pesticides.
  7. rbruchwalski

rbruchwalski LawnSite Member

Here north of Pittsburgh, I was told that Lawn Care businesses aren't required to have a business license, unless you get into the fertilization/pesticide aspect of the business
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

oldey but goody