Business License?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boxoffire, Aug 11, 2004.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Do I have to get a license to start mowing peoples lawns? I was wondering the implications if I don't, and if I buy equipment this year (2004), could I claim them on my taxes in 2005 instead?

I figure if I get a license now with only 1 customer, I'll have to go ahead and put my equipment on this years taxes in April 05, wouldn't that be right?

Lastly, I bought my L110 JD tractor last summer in 03 to cut my moms lawn and it cost $1900. Is it too late to declare that in my taxes for 04 if I use it for business purposes?

Sorry for so many questions. Just getting started and want advice on these type things before I get going much. I have a guy I know that can help me with taxes.

Stay as cool as you can out there. Enjoy!

Later, Adam
  2. ichinaga

ichinaga LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Adam -

Where I am in NJ, you're supposed to have a license for most towns. Some townships you do not need a license, but others are $50-100 for the year. It varies. I just called the city clerks office prior to cutting to make sure.

I've always followed the rules and paid for each town. I've heard of fines for not having a license.

As for the taxes - I'd consult with someone to be safe.

Hope this helps a little.

3. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

You do not need a North Carolina business license. In fact, if you try to get a state license, there is no such thing. You have to check in the county and city that you will be working in. For instance in Union county no license is required. If I work in the city of Monroe, which is in Union county,I need a license. Mecklenburg county requires a license.....
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi boxoffire,

Here is a site that might be of interest to you.

Click on the image below.