Business License

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mtdman, Mar 4, 2005.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The state of Michigan doesn't require any kind of licensing for lawn maintenance work. My county doesn't give you a business license unless you have a place of business where business occurs. I am an LLC in Michigan, and have a number from that. But I don't have a business license, per say. While doing bids recently for a certain commercial account, the bid sheet asked for the Business License number. I'm not quite sure what to do exactly with that. I'm thinking I'm going to put my LLC # down and leave it at that.

When I got my mortgage for my house the mortgage company wanted my business license as well. I tried to explain to them I don't have one, one is not given for my type of work. They made me come up with all kinds of other proof that I was in business instead.

2. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I am an S-Corp, and I use the fed ID # for all that... have never been questioned.

3. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

Our licensing in WI is similar. We don't need a "business lisense" but we are required to register our business and get a "sellers permit". The state issues a number with the sellers permit which is used to file sales tax. In my experience most people are looking for the FEIN which I did not have before I hired employees. I would use 1) your FEIN or 2) sales tax # or 3)SSN

4. mtdman

We don't do sales tax on services in Michigan. I'm not real keen on giving out my FEIN number either. I'm thinking I'm just going to slap down my LLC number and leave it at that.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I say either use your DBA registeration number or your FEIN

6. MTDMAN,

Wow - I've never heard of such - WOW!

I'm curious, do you just provide lawn maintenance services (cutting, edging, trimming and clean up etc.) or do you also provide landscaping services (i.e. plantings, fertilizer, mulch, flowerbed/tree rings etc.) or does that not matter regarding tax and business license in Michigan?

-=KC=-
    a.k.a. BULLGRAZER

7. mtdman

I don't do any landscaping. As far as I know, there's no licensing for that either. I dunno about sales tax for landscaping, but I assume if you sell a product you have to pay tax on that. There's no sales tax on food or services in Michigan. You do have to be licensed by the state agricultural dept for doing fertilizing applications. As it has been explained to me, the only time the county issues a business license is when you have an actual place of business. Like a store, restaurant, etc. Since I don't have a dedicated building where business is transacted, I am not required to have a business license. I think even if I have a shop, I still wouldn't need a license since no business would transact there.

8. chriscampbell

chriscampbell LawnSite Member

Did you know that Michigan is the only state that blind people can have hunting license. hah Another fact about the laws of Michigan. You do not need a SS# to get a drivers license. So that where all my workers went last year to get their drivers license. lol (and they didnt hit anything)

9. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

MtdMan Think i'm gonna move to michigan :blob3: ha ha i'm in Louisiana and Yes we have to have Lawn Business Licensed here ..its just $50 a year but at the end of the year ..State of Louisiana want to know how much you make ,,,, payup heck ...i'd forget to tell them about the cash money i make OOPS !! :cool2:

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ahhh.....to live in Michigan