1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business Licenses

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Yard Perfect, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

I have the state master business license. How many of you obtain a license for each city that you work in, in addition to your state license. I recently ran for political office, the press got hold of info that I didn't have a license for one of the cities that I work in and made headlines of my omission. Just curious.
  2. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

We obtain a lic. where they are needed.
  3. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

Yard Perfect,

I've got my own construction business just west of you in Elma. It's kinda weird how it works around here when it comes to city licenses. When I work in Aberdeen and Hoquiam I have to have their license, yet Cosmopolis and Elma don't require one. Go Figure? I haven't done any work in Olympia other than to help a couple of friends out, so I'm not sure about licensing in your area. Come to think of it, I wonder if you'd need seperate licenses for Olympia, Lacey and Tumwater?

BTW - if you owned a snow plow, you probably could've made a little money today:laugh:
  4. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Only obtain the ones you need-no need to waste time and money on something you don't
  5. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

To: DKINWA - technically all three of our cities require a license. Although I don't believe any one cares unless you become a public figure, that part of my life is over.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Each dam city gotta BUY a lisc. give them the money and there happy. I just sent one out today that requires 1-3-1 MIL and a 25K bond for just 1 city and thats only to MOW! If I want to do installs 100k bond. Ridiculous!

7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

They don't require anything like that here, at least to maintain(mow), not to sure about installs. That's outrageous!!!!!!!!!
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Yard Perfect,

What office position did you run for?
  9. ryan cooper

ryan cooper LawnSite Member

10. FosterGroundsMaint

FosterGroundsMaint LawnSite Member

Thats why I love minnesota - It cost me 25 dollars for a basic license. No questions asked, a $25 check, and I was in business.