1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Business Liscense

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muxx, Jul 6, 2005.

1. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

What can you do about LCO's that do not have a business liscense? There are so many people mowing yards in this area and I would bet 80% do not have a liscense. How can you compete with there prices when you have all the expenses of Insurance, Worker's Comp, State Taxes. etc. and all they have is fuel? It would be nice if the state could regulate who has a business liscense and fine those who do not.
  2. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

There are a lot of service businesses like that in our country. Most of those don't last. Be careful what you wish for cause if we get the goverment more involved in our industry we're in trouble. :cool2:
  3. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I hope I am not wrong about this, but when I started my business about 7 yrs. ago. The state of Ohio said you do not need a business license just to mow grass. I noticed you are from Ohio, so please fill me in if you find differently. Thanks

4. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Maryland is the same way.
  5. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

What if you want employees?
  6. N.C. is the same way also if your county does not require it you do not have to have one the problem is when you work in other counties you may be required to have a privilege license to work (to charge for you service in that county\city )
    which can be costly. and aggravating
  7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Fill me in on this what does a license do i know people with them and nothing of what you said like workers comp ins.... I mean mine was free but that don't mean anything i still had to get my ein and what not ... So i guess what I'm getting at is you can have a license and still not do any of the other stuff
    And while I'm posting if all them damn so called scrubs would charge the going rate there would still be enough to go around but i see it as even with the i still get enough to keep me happy and everything paid so its all good
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely nothing. What do I care? I'm too busy to worry about what others are doing and/or not doing.
  9. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

In August of 2004 (I think thats when it went into affect) the state of Ohio decided the lawn service and landscaping should be taxable services. To collect Sales tax in Ohio you need a Service Vendors License. So yes, in Ohio you do need to be licensed. You are however not required to carry insurance and if you are a solo operator you do not need Workman's comp. ins.

If you want to open a business bank account you will need to register your business name with the state. (unless it is your name like "Smith's Lawn Care"). You will want to register your name first to make sure it's available, apply for your vendors license, get a bank account, GET INSURED as soon as the business can afford it if not sooner.

I have been licensed and insured from day one. I got instant commercial accounts because of it.