business move: Texas to Minnesota

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RX7, Dec 7, 2002.

1. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

I just finished my first fulltime season doing lawn care maintenance in Fort Worth, TX. I really want to continue with the lawn care business, but I am moving to Minneapolis, MN in December to be near family and friends. I am curious about how much business there is in MN for lawn care. Here in Texas just about everyone wants someone else to mow their lawn probably because of the heat. So I am wondering if I would be in for a rude awakening when trying to find business in another climate. I also realize that snowplowing in the winter could be another service I could provide. I have noticed a few members are from Minnesota. If you or anyone else could lend any advice on the lawn care or snowplowing business in the Twin Cities area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's input. This site has been a great tool for my business. :)

2. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

RX,
    Well, welcome to the arctic winter wonderland of MN. Im currently in New Jersey attending school, but my brother and I have our business in southern minnesota. Your area of minneapolis is a huge opportunity to cash in on both mowing and other services. I dont think you'll have any problem getting business, primarily in the suburbs like Bloomington, Edina, Fridley, Eagan, etc. I would be happy to provide you any more information you'd like...get back to me...

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Here is Minnesota there are plenty of opportunities to turn over profit. First of all you have to market yourself. Getting your name out in a concentrated area is key to success. As with most locations across the nation, this area is already heavily populated with LCO's. This does not mean there isn't plently of work out there for everyone, you just have to make good business decisions and present yourself professionally. One thing you will notice is a shorter growing season compared to the South. But if you have the capital, I would reccomend getting into the snow removal business. Full service is the only way to sell many of the customers. They don't want to have one business that cuts the grass and other maintenace, and another that plows the snow. They want it all together. Best of luck, and if you have any further questions, just drop me a line.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Be aware lots of F****** companies lots of compitition.:eek:

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey lawncare3, top notch language coming from a 15 year old on a public forum. Great way to earn the respect of adults.
    Also, it's competition, not compitition. :rolleyes:

6. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys guys. lawncare3- Are most of the f****** companies just one man shows/scrubs/highschoolers or are they big time shows with multiple crews? Just thought I'd let you fellow Minnesotans know that I used to live there. I graduated from highschool in Prior Lake. I never did the lawncare thing up there. I lived in Texas during my younger school years and did some part time lawncare with my Dad. After I graduated from highschool I went to the UofM TC for a semester and then decided I wanted to start a lawn care business in Texas. So this last season I did it full time and made good money. I miss friends and family so I have to move back to Prior Lake. I hope I can make a LC bus. work up there as well as I did down in Texas. What areas are the best to go for? Thanks guys for your replys. Good Luck with your businesses. Oh yeah lawncare3- I already asked Esby and Brieldo, do you know anything about the snow plowing business? I am interested in getting into that for some off season money. Thanks again.

7. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

sorry about the ****** Randy. I just saw your post.

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I probably should add something constructive to the thread anyways.

RX7, the Twin Cities climate is similair to mine here in Wisconsin. You'll do just fine if you made a go of it in Texas. Maybe some different grasses and plant materials. Plowing is a revenue source also, but is getting more and more unpredictable as years pass on because of different weather patterns. Must be some truth to global warming. Anyways, good luck with the move and getting back to friends and family. Keep working hard while you're young and it will payoff. :)

9. quikag

quikag LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Just curious RX7, what did you do with your accounts here in Tejas? Also, this is my first post guys and I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the valuable information on this forum.

10. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

I sold some, gave some away, dropped some, and still have a few that I haven't gotten rid of yet.;)